a solo night hammocking :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
hey everyone, i've been refining my loadout over the last few months and thought i'd share what i took out with me last night for a sneaky hammock on me tod.

i use a snugpak rocketpak and have now managed to get to the point where i even have a little spare room :D

so, my loadout. in the main pouch i have my u/blanket (blue dry bag), quilt (black dry bag), my gb wildlife hatchet, 2 canes i use for my mozzie net and my 4l ortlieb

100_0528.jpg

next, in one side pouch i have my dd travel hammock (red dry bag), ipk, dd 3x3 tarp and snugpak poncho

100_0526.jpg

the other side pouch has my crusader mug and bottle, the dpm pouch has food and drinks, honey stove and 12cm zebra. i've also got a length of chain in the billy

100_0523.jpg

in the top pouch i have my fak and then the olive dry bag has small wash kit, folding trowel and toilet roll

100_0529.jpg

i also have a gas mag bag that sits in the top of my pack and gets used as a possibles pouch when camp is set up

100_0530.jpg

this contained last night, it can vary quite a bit, my uco mini candle lantern + shade, head torch, food for free, reading book, small knife, mini blow poker, camo buff, catty + ammo, mini torch, teaspoon, ti spork, spare paracord, plastic bag, fire kit, which is vaseline/cotton wool tinder in ciggy tin, blue flame turbo lighter, firesteel, exotac matchcase

so here was my pack

100_0522.jpg

and ready to rock :)

100_0518.jpg

my new chain in an action shot!

100_0516.jpg

100_0514.jpg

and the obligatory leave no trace shot :) thanks for looking.

100_0521.jpg

any comments or suggestions welcome :)

Last edited:

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Great post :D
Only used a hammock around half a dozen times and never really had a good nights sleep, i like to sleep on my front and in a hammock does not feel too good :p

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
thanks for the comments lads.

backwoodsman, yes it was at the wood i pm'd you about. the underblanket is the snugpak one, as was my quilt.

beenn, i instantly fell in love with hammocks cos i sleep on my back and rarely move. you have to really like them i think cos i can get my ground setup into a 40l pack, weighing 5kg's less. i find it the most comfortable way to sleep, including my bed. and my bed is awesome :D

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
don't make me start looking into spending more money rich! the whoopies have definitely helped, i can get it down to 16kg i reckon which i'm more than comfortable carrying

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
hey drew. i just started thinking about what i hadn't used everytime i went out and left it next time. if i didn't use it, it went. i basically stopped trying to plan for so many what ifs and packed for what i actually used. it suprising what you actually use when you really think about it.

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
i stole the chain idea off of someone on here. shewie, or wayland i think. someone smarter than me anyway :) it weighs nothing, and it just saves time as i prefer to cook on the open fire whenever i can. all you need is a forked stick and a longer one to hang the chain off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE