A Quick Poncho Shelter and Boiling Water For Purification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Just some pics from a recent class on improvised shelter building and water purification.

A quick poncho shelter
Camp-1.jpg

Camp-2.jpg

Borrowed SWIMBO to give it some size perspective.
Myprettybabycropped.jpg

InShelter.jpg

The improvised hanging "pots" for boiling water
BoilingWater.jpg

CopyofPotsHanging.jpg

The only tools I used, a new Super SOG Bowie knife, and an issue E-Tool.
IMG_0676.jpg

SuperBowie-2.jpg

Nice camp, I'm not a fan of the bisphenol-A brew myself though.

So that's what that is, thanks, I've been trying to ask some folks with no real answers. It's not on all cans I open only a few but all of the bigger ones I've opened. The class was more on the mehtod used to hang it than the kind of can to use, I'm still looking for a can without it for better pics but I've got a fridge full of vegetables in storage bowls now from looking for a large can without that stuff. What is the point of this stuff anyway?

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Is that safe mate using water from a plastic lined can?

(Thats two you got so far)

Like the table thingy! Like the stick through the holes thing Also.

Is that safe mate using water from a plastic lined can?

The main info I've gotten so far is to not let the flames hit the area where the plastic is with no water in it.That if left un attended and water got too low the "plastic" (I had no idea what it was) would start pealing off....and that it may be best to just burn the can out to start with. friends that used this type of can in a survival camp training session some time back had to just turn the cans up in the fire and just burn it all out and then go back to boiling water...said that worked ok but took a bit...I was actually trying to study it's behavior at the time I took these pics and was mainly trying to demonstrate a simple way to make a pot hanger with a can, I'm still looking for a large can with no liner...but as explained above I'm running out of room and things cost too much to just throw them out so I probably need to make a pot of soup so I can open some more cans

(Thats two you got so far)

Huh?

Like the table thingy! Like the stick through the holes thing Also.

Cool glad you like it, it's pretty simple.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Nice camp I used to use a Us poncho and liner always thought it was great camo.

Nice setup too, the stick through the can is a keeper!
and i like the cunning crusader cup wire hanger!;)

what did you use the E-tool for?

Just wondered why did you use a stick to rest the tarp on instead of a cord of some sort?

Cool camp!

That is a beast of a knife you have there!

Yeah...well as of yet I don't have the same laws to contend with here that you have there so in my carry less philosophy I don't carry a hatchet or Machete but a large fixed blade and a folder on a regular basis.....and my e-tool to dig with. I never know what I'm going to be carrying back out with me...fossils, petrified wood, fatwood stumps..etc. so I don't take a lot with me. I am studying small knife techniques...trying to be more open minded.

The large Heinze tomato soup tins aren't lined if that's any use.

Thank you, I appreciate the info...I can use that for a base for my vegetable soups or speghetti sauce.

Nice camp I used to use a Us poncho and liner always thought it was great camo.

Nice setup too, the stick through the can is a keeper!
and i like the cunning crusader cup wire hanger!;)

what did you use the E-tool for?

Just wondered why did you use a stick to rest the tarp on instead of a cord of some sort?

Cool camp!

I used the e tool to dig out a scoop for the fire pit grass roots and all so I could put it back when I was done.

as far as the sappling goes...it is a bit of protection from falling branches and gives me a convienient place to hang gear...I live in a temperate rainforest where I have to deal with falling branches and wet ground a lot.

Shelter-1.jpg

Nice pics MW

sunshine and short sleeves aswell, can't be bad

Thanks Shewie

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I used the e tool to dig out a scoop for the fire pit grass roots and all so I could put it back when I was done.

as far as the sappling goes...it is a bit of protection from falling branches and gives me a convienient place to hang gear...I live in a temperate rainforest where I have to deal with falling branches and wet ground a lot.

cheers that all makes sense, E-tools are heavy though ;)

cheers that all makes sense, E-tools are heavy though ;)

Yup, that's why I don't like carrying an axe or hatchet and have adapted to using a large knife....just years of habbit now. I've too often had to dig a trench around my shelter to redirect run-off rain water, water collection pits...and latrines. Really hard for me to do most of those things with an axe.

Nice little set up for an overnighter I used to use a poncho (brit) and bivi bag set up all the time before i settled on the hammock and larger tarp

Thanks, I like hammocks for the short term...but for the most part I prefer to sleep on my side...hammocks make that difficult.

BOD

Nice camp.

Looking at those tree roots I'd say you were in for a lumpy night though.

Have you tried out the Hennessey hammocks? The military ones are made in the US so you will be helping someone keep a job. You could make your own as well.

I like side sleeping too but manage to get to sleep on the side in the asymetrical Hennessys.

Haven't slept on the ground for 4 years excpet for a spell in the desert where there were no trees!

Nice camp.

Looking at those tree roots I'd say you were in for a lumpy night though.

Have you tried out the Hennessey hammocks? The military ones are made in the US so you will be helping someone keep a job. You could make your own as well.

I like side sleeping too but manage to get to sleep on the side in the asymetrical Hennessys.

Haven't slept on the ground for 4 years excpet for a spell in the desert where there were no trees!

You might think so but actually there are two of the roots that make somewhat of a nest.

Never tried an asymetrical hammock, I''ll have to look into those.

Good one there Bry. looks like home.

Thanks Ran, he he he....it's been home before....more than once

Nice Camp setup you have their....

Shame most cans are plastic lined these days to stop cans rusting :(

here the large coffee cans are no longer around they have gone all plastic here...

I like the improvisation of the stick through the can when you don't have some wire handy neat trick....

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
Mistwalker,
Thats a nifty little set up. Is there a reason why you have the large log on the side closest to the tarp as opposed to the other side?
ATB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE