A question of hips and hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hey guys, sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I was just wondering if anybody has problems with their hips when they are using a hammock. I ask this because i have osteomyelitis in my hip and bought a hammock in the recent dd group buy and it never dawned on my to consider my hip. So i was wondering if anybody with problems in the hip or any bone for that matter have trouble when using a hammock?

Also while i'm on the subject of osteomyelitis and arthritis etc, is there any natural or "bushy" rememedies that may be used with conventional antibiotics and pain relief?

Thanks guys,
Phil

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
In my experience using the hammock didnt bother my hips, but watch out for your knees, i woke up one night and it seems my knees had been hyperextending all night and my knees were killing me.

Solution small stuff bag under the knee's. hth

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Stinging the affected parts with nettles - or even getting bees to sting them - are old folk remedies for arthritic pain.... not that I have tried this myself.
I suffer a bit from lower back/leg pain and find a tightly pitched hammock (with my down airbed inside) actually gives me a better nights sleep than my "orthopedic" matress :)

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
Stinging the affected parts with nettles - or even getting bees to sting them - are old folk remedies for arthritic pain.... not that I have tried this myself.
I suffer a bit from lower back/leg pain and find a tightly pitched hammock (with my down airbed inside) actually gives me a better nights sleep than my "orthopedic" matress :)

John, do you half inflate your airbed? i've tried using different airbeds half inflated but dont seem to get on with them? Or do you "hardly" inflate them?

thanks

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'll add my bit to say I sleep better in my hammock than I do in my "normal" bed (a Gainsborough mattressed King size four poster). A cheap inflatable pillow sorts the knee hyperflexion - and a home brewed pod system keeps it all warm & toasty.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I would have thought a hammock would be ideal for your hip as your weight is spread right along your length rather than just on your hips, shoulders and feet like it is in a tent. You should have a lay in it anyway and see what you think, I'd avoid a taught pitch if you can and try to get a diagonal lay so you can flatten out a lot more.

Ogri makes a good point about the pillow, as well as using it under the knees it's also quite nice to have it between them instead.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
i had that hyperflexion thingy the last time i hung i will try the pillow under the knees thanks ogri regards dave

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Phil, have a talk with a doctor/consultant and a fizioterrorist and see what they say. Remember that the bend in a hammock is stretching your spine and that body movement will be more restricted than on a flat cot or mattress which in turn may restrict your circulation which you can do without. There are no bushcraft remedies that will come close to regular analgesics or antibiotics so don't even think of changing anything. If you are having arthritic pain having taken prescribed pain killers then go see the GP again and try something else, nobody needs to be in pain these days (I have arthritic knees and spinal issues so I do sympathise with you). Go see the Doc mate.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I suffer from a slipped pelvis and find i sleep better and im certainly more comfy in my hammock than my orthopedic super duper bed at home, i use a DD hammock but set it up slightly saggy so i can sleep at an angle in it and therefore I lay flat.

HTH's?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't want to steal the thread but I have a quick question (it may or may not even be helpful to the original question) Does the national health Service cover choiropractic treatment? Do you think that might help?

thanks for all the comments guys, its very reassuiring to hear that most of you sleep better in the hammock, as for stinging neetles the pain is in the back of my hip so ill give sitting on nettles a miss and stick to just my prescriptions lmao. going to ask the doc about circulation and what not but i cant really see there being any problems that way,

again thanks :D

santaman i don't think you can get choiropractic treatment on the nhs. might be wrong, maybe a gp and can refer you to one but anyone iv heard of has had to pay.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE