A perfect bushcraft gun??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...410 ammo is (annoyingly) about the same price as 12 bore for normal No. 6 type fodder. That said my local gunshops reckon they sell 100 boxes of 12 bore for each box of .410 so I guess there is a storage premium..."

Is it still possible to load your own in the UK? I suppose that would help to keep the costs down.

Lovely gun.

:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep....and I do when I have the time. Its certainly worth it for pistol and centre fire rifle calibres - more marginal for bordshot in shotguns but useful for solids or even buck.

Red

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
.410 ammo is (annoyingly) about the same price as 12 bore for normal No. 6 type fodder. That said my local gunshops reckon they sell 100 boxes of 12 bore for each box of .410 so I guess there is a storage premium.

Thanks, I was under the impression that it was as much if not more expensive than 12 bore but couldn't find any prices on the internet to be sure.

I picked an identical one of those for free on its way to be scrapped as it had no foresight and had 'lost' its half cock and was 'dangerous' (they don't have a 'half cock'). It is a ROBOT which is a rare make coveted by collectors. They need a wisp of leather or whipping around the barrel to stop the butt marring the finish whilst it is folded and the folding lock needs care when using as is is prone to wear, don't let the barrel fall onto the lock, lower it gently. Plenty of Belgen and Spanish examples around singles and doubles, £20-£50 for a single and £40-£100 for a side by side.

Is yours also a ROBOT Red? As you have solids on your section one have you tried them in the 0.410"? see:

http://www.buckandslug.co.uk/

yes 3" brass cartridges with solid heads we where trying to see if it would be accepted on a FAC for practical shotgun then order a SAGA shotgun in 0.410" a semi with 10 rnd box mags
or if the PLOD would work out it was now really a .41" SLR with a smooth bore :O

Nice gun hugh haven't seen one for a long time used to know an old boy with one and also a side be side folder to
you will be getting a 9mm garden gun next :D

ATB

Duncan

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It's a pity the Brocock Fox was outlawed - I'd be surprised if they'd have stood up to proper ammunition (and wouldn't it be pretty easy to convert a .22 air rifle to fire rimfire cartridges?)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not entirely banned - but effectively so other than long barreled revolvers and old black powder single actions. I shoot a lot of .357 mag from my Marlin though.

JTB - a little cumbersome and nose heavy, but very quiet (think loud hand clap). Not tried a 20B - it will be heavy - not the thing for a high fast pheasant or wildfowling, but if the ducks are predictable on their flight lines it might be just the ticket.

Red

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
For any who have ever wondered, this is what Ray Mears uses to stock his larder these days...

rifle.jpg

...now I did have a note of the details of both rifle and scope, but have mislaid it.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, the little folding .410 got christened today.

Note to self - do not underestimate the .410 cartridge :)

Neck shot a woodie at 10 to 15 yards (mt favourite shot on a woodie when using an airgun - severs the brainstem). The head was barely attached afterwards :eek:

No meat damage though which is the name of the game :D

Super little gun - no felt recoil at all. Would certainly keep me fed round here with the number of woodies around.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Hi Red

Had one of those little guns for years bought it originally for my girls to learn to shoot with, I take it with me when i have a wander round.
Made a small bag it so it fits the gun folded and so it doesn't look like a gun is in there an fits the side of a rucksack. Stops people becoming paranoid cos you got a GUN and you might SHOOT them.

I use 3 inch number 5's for rabbits and 2.5 number 7's for woodies and squirrels a very underrated and effective gun and fun to boot.

D

merman

Oct 20, 2009
south west
When I was a lad I had a Baikel .410 for harvesting game round the farm and loved it, with eley fourlong 6's there is no small game that you can't take cleanly, and if you add in subsonic cartridges and a silencer it is no louder than an air rifle with the ability to shoot flying/running supper.
For a single gun with versility I stand by my Beretta AL391, it will cycle slugs, heavy wildfowl loads and standard 6's allowing a full range of game to be shot cleanly.
If you had to feed yourself to survive for a prolonged period in the wild, I guess a .22 spring air rifle would keep you alive, no real maintenance and a tin of 500 pellets weighs nothing and will cleanly kill small sitting game.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
When I was a lad I had a Baikel .410 for harvesting game round the farm and loved it, with eley fourlong 6's there is no small game that you can't take cleanly, and if you add in subsonic cartridges and a silencer it is no louder than an air rifle with the ability to shoot flying/running supper.

For the real quiet stuff my good lady uses a spressed Mossberg 500 in .410 - very quiet as you say!

Mossberg 500 Stealth .410 by British Red, on Flickr

Red

merman

Oct 20, 2009
south west
Thats cool, how long is that barrel? I have no experience with .410 semi autos, but I guess it is zero recoil.

500 pellets must weigh about 750gms, with a 50% hit rate shooting small game would possibly provide 100kg of edible food giving 99.25kgs profit (not including weight of rifle), compared to carrying 500rds of rifle ammo all day, they do feel like they weigh nothing.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
Thats cool, how long is that barrel? I have no experience with .410 semi autos, but I guess it is zero recoil.

500 pellets must weigh about 750gms, with a 50% hit rate shooting small game would possibly provide 100kg of edible food giving 99.25kgs profit (not including weight of rifle), compared to carrying 500rds of rifle ammo all day, they do feel like they weigh nothing.

:confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE