A pattern for leather winter boots or mukluks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Hi All,
does anyone know of any patterns for making long winter boots out of soft leather, possibly with laces to tighten up the ankle? I have got some lovely light tan leather (suede) from Ian and now want to immerse myself in a project. I already have the soling material (Vibram 5mm rubber) and thought I would look at some patterns before deciding what to do.

thanks.

How about these?

http://www.skillsforwildlives.com/2010/02/making-your-own-winter-footwear-bushcraft-style/

There was another tutorial I came across a while back but I can't remember where it is, maybe on the Winter Treking forum or Bushcraft Living. I will have a look and see if I can find it again.

The Snow Walker's companion book gives a pattern for making mukluks as well.
From what I gather the shoe part was leather then the upper part was canvas...guess they kind of acted like gaiters. But from what I read they are good for certain types of snow and can be a problem in our winter wet slushy snow.

None of these patterns however take into account a rubber sole.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
RonW, I have not kept up with this thread and just commented over on your traditional kit thread that I am going to make your moccasins, thanks for posting the link here. Now, I have suede leather, which is not sheepskin, will that make a difference or do I need to line it with something? Just looked at Pandabean's link and can see that I can make a pair of felt liner for them.......that means I need to make the liners first and then size up the leather outers to fit......

Just noticed the pattern came from the book North - you mentioned, might get this for my husband for his birthday, it is worth paying £17 for from Amazon?

Oh just seen the paperback version on Abeboks for £6.99. I love his DVD Le Dernier Trappeur, one of my favourite films if you have seen it?

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Tawnyhare; I love the book, but that's just me.
I got it for $18, but I see prices much higher than that.

As for the mocassins, I used what I had at hand. Are they warm? So far, yes... indoors and in mild weather outside. In the winter? That remains to be seen.
Waterproof? Mmm, no. Waterrepellant at best.

These were actually a tryout, where it didn't matter much (financially) if it went wrong or not. They turned out great, so I will use real leather next time. You could do the same with the suede.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
That is a good idea - once I have tried out the design then I can make them up in better leather. I was thinking of buying these STEGER mukluks anyway, but to save $260 would make them instead - that's a no-brainer really isn't it? I will be using them in dry snow, so the waterproof issue not so much of a problem, its just the warmth I need.

mountainm - I LOVE those viking shoes - I am going to make myself a pair of those too and interchange the felt liners from the mukluks to them. Looks like I got some work to be getting on with.......:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE