A pair of buzzards and a couple to ID

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
A few pics of the life around me at work today, enjoy.

First up a pair of buzzards enjoying the thermals (air currents not underwear :D ) last pic's not great but quite dramatic I thought.

2buteo.jpg

buteo3.jpg

buteoaerobatics.jpg

I think this might be a green hairstreak but my butterfly book only shows pictures with wings open so I'm probably completely wrong.

grhairstreak.jpg

And finally an LBJ that was singing it's heart out in the gorse.

lbj.jpg

Cheers

Steve

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great pictures!

I would say green hairstreak for sure.

I'm not certain on the little brown job but I'm tempted by a nightingale

keep em coming please :)

Red

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
In the book I have (collins complete Brit wildlife) the Green Hairstreak has White spots on the wings (shown closed in the book and also comments that it's mostly seen with it's wings closed) but I would concur that it is what you have.

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
Hi Red

I would love it to be a nightingale, we are a bit west of their usual range so it would be a good spot, but I think I can make out a dark stripe running through it's eye which makes me suspect a warbler of some description. (It's not a great shot but it was a long way off and taken through a handheld 400mm lens and then heavily cropped)

Steve

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I reckon Meadow Pipit because there seems to be linear speckling that may be washed out 'cos of the light and the white on the tail feathers.

I'm really just going on first glance instincts though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE