A none-too scientific observation.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Hi Folks,

So, Sunday morning I set out to cut some green branches down to stove size, so they can season ready for use. Not huge stuff, sort of arm and leg diameter. I happened to have 2 brand new 24 inch bowsaw blades to hand, one a raker tooth, the other a peg tooth, both bahco brand. So I set to work using the raker tooth and was very happy the way it seemed to really zip through the timber. Then I moved over to the peg tooth for some of the smaller bits, because the raker I find more difficult to start on the small stuff.

Moving back to a larger piece, I picked up a saw without looking and started to cut, as it turned out with the peg tooth blade. It seemed to cut the green wood BETTER than the raker blade. So, I made a complete cut through a fresh branch and counted that it took 15 strokes to go right through, I then switche to the raker blade and cut throught the same branch, just an inch from the other cut, this time it took 19 strokes.

So it appears that the raker blade, designed for cutting green wood, is not as efficient as the peg tooth, which is a general purpose blade.

Anyone else found this?

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE