A little survival situation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Today I went out to my local forest to see if the ice had disappeared from the lake. I was hoping it had so I could try some hobo fishing. But the lake was still full of ice.

So I decided to go around the lake to the other side where it grows a couple of birch tree´s and try to tap a birch on sap. On my way I was making a little jump over a stream I have crossed it many times before. But this time it was a bit diffrent becasue I must have slipped or something because suddenly I stood in the stream with ice cold water up to my waist.

It was too far to walk home in my wet clothes so I stripped off my pants and boots quickly so i could get off all my wet clothes. My first thought was where is my knife and firesteel. My knife hang in my belt and the firesteel was in one of the pants pockets. Normally I carry my knife and firesteel "the armpit way" but today I had it in my belt (BIG mistake).

With cold and wet fingers and picked up my tinderpoch from my rucksack and gathered some small sticks to start to make a fire. After practising firemaking all winter this was not a problem despite my cold fingers.
My next problem was my toes they were really cold but I was afraid that if i would put them too near the fire I would only burn them. But I remembered the cover to "the swedish army survival handbook" were a man use a pair of mittens as shoes. I did not have any mittens but I had a pair of garden gloves (working gloves or what you call them) and they worked great, soon my toes was getting warm. But my legs was still freezing cold and I had started to shiver. I then remembered my trusty old Ullfrotte jacket. I pulled it over my legs and used it as a skirt.

After an hour and a half my trousers was dry enough that i could wear them. So i decided to hit for home i put on my ullfrotte jacket to get as warm as possible and with wet socks and boots I started to walk for home.

I learned a lot of things from my little addventure today, here are a few of the things I learned.
- Always have a knife and firesteel around my neck
- An extra pair of socks
- 2 plastic bags so i dont have to walk in wet boots
- 2 tinder pouches one on me and one in my pack
- If a would had been in serious trouble a re t-shirt or piece of clot would have mad a good signal where was
- A whistle around my neck

There is so many things tha could have been helpful today, a small candle could have given me th little warmth I needed for example.

Have you ever been in the same situation?
What did you do?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
We all learn from our mistakes, and on this occasion we can all learn from yours too - but I think you dealt with the situation in almost text book fashion - Hope you made yourself a nice cup of coffee or tea at the same time as you were warming your toes!.

Well done.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Thanks for the story Viking and it's great safe and well.

It doesn't often get as cold hear but I have had few scary moments in the past when wet and cold and on one or two occassion would have loved to have been able to work through the problem as calmly as you have.

My dad some 20 odd years ago got cought out in a rare blizzard here and had to walk two miles back to my granmothers. He was determind to make it home so without disturbing her got all the old newspapers she had in the shed stuff his light jacket and jeans, his working boots and covered his socks in plastic bags.

He then walked the 7miles home. It took him 3hours. I though he was really brave but he warned me never to do it myself and that he even to this day says it was the stupidest thing he ever done. Walking away from perfect shelter warmth and food when it wasn't necessary to do so.

Anyway my little story over.

Again well done Viking on get home safe and thanks for share your experience with us.

James

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
nice one viking ,well done,just a thought but i`d be a bit careful with the plastic bags on feet though as i`ve seen bad cases of imersion foot due to this albeit was a longer period of time though, be worth getting gortex socks mate,cheers al :-D

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
al said:
nice one viking ,well done,just a thought but i`d be a bit careful with the plastic bags on feet though as i`ve seen bad cases of imersion foot due to this albeit was a longer period of time though, be worth getting gortex socks mate,cheers al :-D

The trick is to use a dry sock olastig bag then wet sock and then stuck it in your boots.
Gore Tex socks never seen them over here, are they any good?

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
yeah they are mate aslong as you dont cover too much distance with them on , what i found was hot spots would develop after a few hours,but i take it your feet are fine ? also i dont live in a land covered in snow, over here its wetter so i`m going on experience of seeing bad cases of imersion plus neglect of personal admin in some cases but not all,anyway i just wish i could use your opening line local forest to check the ice on the lake,you lucky man :-D ,you`lll be lost when you go to the city, ,bit of luck i`ll catch up with you in chat over the weekend, one last thing i`ve only used issue gortex socks so cant comment on the brand names but i imagine others here can, cheers al

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
My Dad got into a survival situation in the Jungle somewhere in about 1975. He and a group of freinds were driving through the dense South African bush and......the car broke down.

They were My dad, two friends and a girlfriend. One guy broke the first rule...he left the vehicle!

He took water and food. My dad and the others were soon picked up by a passing jeep a few days later. They drove on and found the freind. He was fine, but very tired.

A long story cut short!

Viking...Sounds like you know how to handle a situation! Nice one.

Cheers,

Jake

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
I've never tried goretex socks but I do a lot of walking and camping in some very wet areas- Borrowdale in the Lakes for instance, I use Sealskinz- they're about twenty quid a pair but you can stand up to your knees in a river and still have dry feet (I have done this)!

ps I'm not mad I'm an Ecologist....

Jim.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
all those socks with gore-tex printed i have seen are usually ment to be used with gore-tex lined shoe's instead of being gore-tex.

not really a survival situation, but once after getting out of mine kayak i didn;t changed mine clothing. I though i would be just fine wearing partially wet trouwsers ( didn;t knew mine sweather was wet too. ). got in the car after 15 minutes. Didn't feel cold, but after a couple of hours, wenn we stopped at a tankstation with restaurant. I started to shiffer, because of the wind... I hate that. Learned that you change your clothing after you get wet RIGHT AWAY and NOT later.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i have dileberalatley put my self in this sort of situation purely for the learning experience only a couple of times though!

once i purposly wore white skin tight jeans (a few years ago :oops: ) on a hike and overnight bivy on "goat fell(island of Arran)" rather predictably i got cold and wet but i couldn't get the jeans to change!
i did it with an experienced person.

another time i purposly walked alongside a flooded river to give me more confidence(actually in the water shin deep on the foot path), it worked!
i appeared to get early stages of trench foot, which again was a good leasson.

each time was talked about and planned before hand and i did have spare gear!

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
I once fell through rotten boards on a foot bridge and into a stream at 8500 feet on a 5 degree C day in early Spring. Pretty cold water. Everything in my back and on my body ended up soaked. It had been raining for hours. Fortunately, I routinely carried a metal 35 mm film can full of naptha, matches in a "match safe," and a strong knife. I was to split enough wood (pine and Douglas fir woods) and get a fire started before I was too cold to function. I rigged my tarp and kept the fire going until I had dry clothing and socks to go on. (Last time I backpacked in the mountains alone.)

On another occasion, I and some mates came on a family that had hiked up a side trail from their car. No kit at all. No rain gear. No food. At some point, they got lost in the woods. It started to rain. They had been getting soaked for hours when we happened on them. The three children were in particularly bad shape - uncontrolled shivering. Again, the naptha and our heavy knives allowed us to quickly start a fire and get them warmed. ("It was sunny when we started out." ?! )

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
good stuff all round.

sometimes it's hard to explain to those who have just been lucky so far, why you need all that kit....

cheers, and.

BrutonW

Jun 16, 2004
It's great to hear of bushcraft coming into use in a practical situation that couldn't be avoided. Some people wouldn't have known what to do and could have got themselves into serious trouble. It just shows how a small amount of know how can go such a long way.

Will

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Viking, We always carry spare wool socks (summer or winter weight) in a sealed plastic bag in our packs for this purpose. If you get wet feet remove boots, socks.. dry feet with cloth, (we carry also a small towel)
replace socks and them put plastic bags over your sock feet into the boot. Plastic bags should not be worn against the skin as they will cause extra perspiration and that will dampened your feet worse (in winter it will cause a layer of frost or ice to form in contact with foot skin resulting in frost bite). Even plastic bags over the socks will cause the feet to sweat more but they are better than wet boots unless you want to carry extra boots? Test ice, even in winter with a walking staff, as for the location of knife (neck or belt either is good as long as it is with you) You can take dry leaves, moss or even dry snow to sponge off excess water while you warm by the fire, the killer is hypothermia even carrying a "space" blanket (mylar) and wrapping it around you will help tremendously, remember to open the blanket and cup it toward the fire to allow fire heat to warm your body or the heat will reflect off the blanket. Glad you made well enough
just a thought

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
I always carry a spare pair of woolen socks, but this time I was just out for a couple of hours and did not carry much. A mistake I wont do again.

Carcajou Garou said:
Viking, We always carry spare wool socks (summer or winter weight) in a sealed plastic bag in our packs for this purpose. If you get wet feet remove boots, socks.. dry feet with cloth, (we carry also a small towel)
replace socks and them put plastic bags over your sock feet into the boot. Plastic bags should not be worn against the skin as they will cause extra perspiration and that will dampened your feet worse (in winter it will cause a layer of frost or ice to form in contact with foot skin resulting in frost bite). Even plastic bags over the socks will cause the feet to sweat more but they are better than wet boots unless you want to carry extra boots? Test ice, even in winter with a walking staff, as for the location of knife (neck or belt either is good as long as it is with you) You can take dry leaves, moss or even dry snow to sponge off excess water while you warm by the fire, the killer is hypothermia even carrying a "space" blanket (mylar) and wrapping it around you will help tremendously, remember to open the blanket and cup it toward the fire to allow fire heat to warm your body or the heat will reflect off the blanket. Glad you made well enough
just a thought

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Notice how in spite of a few missteps, both literally and in gear carry you were in control of the situation. The humblest of Mora knives and handfull of matches makes us survivors instead of victims. Wrappng our feet and other body parts represents the vapor barrier concept of warming. In theory all your warm sweat remains trapped, forming a microclimate of warmth. I dislike this system. First, I am not a slamander or enjoy smelling like a mildewed towel. Secondly, and more critical, the minute you remove or change clothing or a sleepingbag vapor barrier all that wet warmth becomes bone chilling cold as it rapidly evaporates. Another strategy with wet feet is to walk in your socks alone. Wool socks will breath and rapidly self dry as moisture is wicked away by the drying effectof snow. This trick is taught by Canadian Mors Kochanski. Custom Woolen Mills in Canada has an illustrated article of Mors doing just this. www.customwoolenmill.com/countryyarn/

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Walking out with wet socks will cause your skin to rapidly blister and wear exposing raw flesh to infection and be in high pain, wether in boots or not, immersion foot!! I am assuming (yes I know) that the terrain is rugged that's why you wear boots, that being said take off boots stuff them full of the driest absorbing material possible, wring out socks and if you have no second pair dry them out near a fire, keep replacing the dry material in your boots till you are satisfied and try the socks and plastic bags, if you have a second pair and plastic bags wear these and be carefull till your boots are dry. Feet are the most neglected tools you have, injure them fifty miles in and find out. Don't be in a rush to injure yourself, walk on a blister for a while painfull yes that's nature telling you to fix things.
just a thought

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
If you wear plastic bags over wet socks (wrung out or not) your asking for trouble! Those and sweaty feet would be as bad as wearing the sodden (unwrung out) socks and boots.

The only time I could think of that would warrant such a move is if you were wading through swamps were your feet would be perminantly under water - and even then I would be doubtful of its effectiveness.

In fact I have several times walked boots dry - you couldnt do that inside a plastic bag?

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Gary, in my post I did remark to dry the wet socks near a fire, you are right wet socks in a bags or even wet feet in plastic bags are a deadly combination summer or winter. The only time I allowed wet feet is while I was running swamps and had US G.I. jungle boots they where extremely good at pumping the swamp water out and when the swamping was over I emediately changed over to dry wool socks, boots dried real fast.
just a thought

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE