A little net knitting with Norwegian needle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Well I've eventually got round to getting a Norwegian net needle which apparently holds more than a traditional one.
16mm x 240mm and sure enough it holds more. A few purse nets in assorted colours. Managed a 19 row net out of one needle full.

Cheers.

001 (600x584).jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tidy :D

It's one of those crafts you take a notion to, and then there's bits of net hanging off the weirdest places :eek:
Clothes poles, kitchen hooks, newel posts, chair backs and door handles :rolleyes:

I always wonder why they make the spike in the other kind so short; I have one of my gg (don't know how many) granny's herring net shuttles, it's made of bone, and it holds masses of line, but it's got a really long spike. There's a knack to filling it, you kind of make a forward loop with your thumb every time you turn.

Handy skill to have though, from pea nets to really handy collecting bags or wee nets above hammocks under the tarp. Or for the fishing or other kinds of 'trapping'.
Useful :)

M

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
That description Toddy kinda fits the house!! Bits of projects, leather, canvas, sewing machine, wood etc in various places:cool:

I think a wooden needle has a short pin due to strength. Bone obviously stronger. Made these a few years back but still too wee.

1463141_1425723614323371_937365055_n (1).jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
Those look really good. Mine are inclined to be a bit less symmetrical :eek:

You know the kind of company that you don't flinch when they appear at the gate ? The kind you that you're not only really happy to see but totally unfussed that there's a dozen things on the go, and the UFO's are kind of taking over at present ?
I like them :)
Folks like that drop by and I put the kettle on; they just move my stuff a wee bit out of the way and find a seat :D The conversation flows, and so do the ideas and the creativity.

Those who come in and you know they do damn all but keep an empty house in showroom condition, just make me feel awkward. I have no idea what they do with their lives. I can't imagine not making. Where do they keep books ? stuff ? do things? One of my neighbour's is like that; she said it can take her two hours a day just to make sure the curtains are all hanging just right. Inside I'm screaming, "Get a life!".
I was in mid warp up on the living room floor when a reenactor friend came by to try to talk me into making something or other for him. He looked at the wool all over the living room floor and said, I jest you not, "Your man must really love you. That mess would do my head in". I thought, "You haven't a (bleeped out) clue. Besides, you should see the mess he's got in my workroom just now; he's head down in the bowels of a computer and another ten to fix".
I "didn't have time" to sew for the fellow ;)

I thought HWMBLT was interesting when he admitted he had a whole bedroom as a workshop :)…..and was building a canoe in the middle of the living room floor too.
We're married 36 years now :D

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I miss an open fire for things like the charcoal….and sweeping up the shavings tidily too :) I don't miss having it as the main source of heat, or hot water, but for the fire sake, I miss it.

I'll find the biscuit tin :)

I meant to ask, what timber did you use for those needles ? The finish looks so clean.

M

I had a friend who was a local legend, bushman and netmaker(in fact:the only netmaker listed in the "" yellow pages"" of the northern territory/OZ); sadly his health was not very good by the time I met him and he left this world 9years ago. :(wish I would have learned net making from him.....

may the thieving b******* of "" caretakers"" who stole all his belongings after he passed away ( incl. a gillnet he extra made for me and which I had stored in his shed) rot in hell!

Last edited:

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Toddy. Biscuit tin in the stove for charcoal but 'she' wasn't too impressed the first time. She's seasoned now so that helps!!!

Those net needles are shin bone from the butcher. I've searched high and low for a bone net needle since I was about 13 and saw one in a museum up north. I've no idea why, just tactile and nice.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ahhh, that's why they've got that sheen :D and why they look so crisp too :approve:
I did wonder; the one I have is very creamy yellowed with fine black streaks through it, but it's had a lot of use.
I have a much smaller one too, but it was meant for 'netting' as in craft stuff for Victorian doilies and tablecloths.

Charcoal (and charcloth) just get made outside in a tin using a blowtorch. It's not as much fun as using a fire, but it works, and it keeps the smoke and smell out of the house so the smoke alarms don't go nuts. Just annoys the neighbours instead :sigh:

M

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
If not a little sair on the fingers:)

:lmao: Just my little finger still have the hard skin callus from my Ferreting days
carved a few needles but this is my Sunday best, from an old Box wood ruler
net%20needle_zpsuwvrbxsc.jpg~original

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE