A list of Winter Activities/Demonstrations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Any ideas on a list of Winter based activites/demonstrations to present to a group?

Ive got a few ideas. Nothing to serious please. Im not getting wet. :)

Something out of the ordinary?

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Different types of fire lay that are appropriate and doable in snow
Can't remember what it's called but when you anchor (could be that!) in snow by burying a shovel or bag etc
melting snow, get an old pot and let it burn through to demonstrate that you need to be careful
Fire from Ice
Navigation different when the landscape is different and even different if you're cold and impatient
First aid, how cold affects the body
how cold affects our motor skills
get them cold and then get them to light a fire with matches or friction
Cold weather fire lighting
Build a wind break to shelter behind
if it's really cold how things turn brittle (could put stuff in the freezer to demonstrate, -10 deg here today, plenty of brittle things already :D
tracking, always good in snow, although can be hard on frozen ground
insulation, pack yourself with newspaper, leaves etc to increase insulation

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
get them cold and then get them to light a fire with matches or friction

Hahahaha I like that one.

Thanks Tony. Some good ideas there. Bobs mentioned a load as well, so I think were ok. Im staying away from anything too tiring.

We've been nominated to give a demo. Think I'll do a bucksaw, snowshoes, and also, prepare old mans beard as food for them to try. Yum. :yuck: Calories, medicinal properties, collection etc.

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
With it being cold you could show how different materials sap away warmth at different speeds, the Ray Mears demo with an egg on an alu shovel comes to mind.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Good idea. Its their back yard, so you'd think they should know a lot. In fact if they're out every year, they should know more than we do.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
on how materials have different properties in cold weather i'd suggest experimenting with the effect of rum in hot chocolate.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
a big upside down fire is a belter if you get it right

as tony said, snow anchors are a good one too, like putting snow stakes in horizontal to the ground with the cord inbthe middle

Down vs synthetic insulation

Moisture management

Calorie and water intake in the deep cold

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE