A Leuku/samekniv

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Brusletto carbon blade, 200mm, olivewood between brass and fibre. Sheat made from a leftover of thick used leather.
To be used in combination with a small japanese saw for fire-making purposes.

Image00001.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00005.jpg

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
oetzi said:
Brusletto carbon blade, 200mm, olivewood between brass and fibre. Sheat made from a leftover of thick used leather.
To be used in combination with a small japanese saw for fire-making purposes.

Nice work! But I think you have missed a vital detail. The handle of almost all chopping knifes, (that is chopping through thinner wood, not chopping veggies) have a thicker end of the handle, for preventing that the knife slips when you chop. This can be seen in leukus, parangs, kukris, etc. If you chop with a wrist motion (holding losely so that the knife does the work and not the muscles) with the knife you've made you may find that it will have a tendency to slip. Just a thought.

(and in my eyes, a leuku is a traditional knife with brass bolster and birch handle, with a distinct shape, but that just me, who have used sameknifes since age 7)

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
You are right!
The reason for the handle being too slim at the rear is that I goofed big time when doing this knife. When shaping the handle i found out too late that it wasnt exactly in-line with the blade and I had to remove a wee bit of material to have it half aligned. I also have too many scratches in the handle from using the coarse file too long, which couldnt be removed without taking away too much wood.
Thats why I stopped finishing with 6oo grid, leaving the handle quite rough and used only cheap leather for the sheat. I didnt want to start all over and the blade was cheap enough anyway (€ 19,-), so I decided to keep it ( to not forget what I did all wrong)and have a not too worthy knife at hand when, for example, someone wants to borrow one.

Since I did incorporate a bigger swell in the horizontal plane of the handle and further forward, I still can grip it very good.
I used it yesterday for its intended purpose, batoning big branches which have been previously cut to pieces with a saw. And it worked!

20-6.jpg

My personal favoiurite is this one. A real Leuku, the other one is more of an american camp knife.
185mm carbon blade by Jarvenpaa, brass and fibre and birch, in a traditional pouch-type sheat with an unobstrusive seam and a medieval belt loop. there is a fat swelling in the forwarp third of the handle (horizontal plane again, thats what I prefer) and the rear end bulges, too :

Image00001-1.jpg

Image00002-1.jpg

25-3.jpg

25-1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE