A house with no water supply

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The endless quest for the new 'sandbender' residence goes on, finding one that is affordable is the main problem but added to that the issue that some properties (especially ones outside the city) over here can give the appearance of being quite serviceable homes but they are looked on as 'holiday homes' and thus don't get an official address, won't get mail, won't provide a place at school for the kids, no refuse collection etc. etc.

All very tricky.

The house with no water supply didn't work out mostly for some of the reasons listed above, however today in the same region we saw a really nice place, huge cellar/workshop which was well lit with natural light, gas heating from the mains with an optional wood burner that would heat the house and water should the Russians cut the supply.

Very nice views and I liked the look of the neighbours.

P1060689.JPG

:)

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Move to Lithuania!! :D :D my mate bough a farm with 2ha of land, big garden livable house couple workshops a well and electricity for................................................ 6000E. Noone needs small homesteads here no more, everyone leaving to sweat for minimum wage to the rest of the Europe. :D :D It wont last forever though and when more people wake up it's going to be like everywhere else UNAFORDABLE.

Jokes aside, I think you should try getting some sort of water feature with the property. A stream or a spring up the hill would be perfect, you could run it down to you by underground pipes and that would be cheapest to water your garden. I dug a pond, but it is at the lowest part of my property and now I'm relying on generator and pump to move it. If I had a stream a ram pump would do that for free. An water is essential. Drinking water could be delivered and if managed properly is not so much work. Trying to store enough water is not likely to work around here, because late summers proved to be very dry with rains far apart, so having a constant pump is way better.

Anyway, the best of luck to you in your adventures and let us know how you get on ;)

Andy

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Heck Andy, that's amazing value for money, you didn't leave a 0 off that figure did you?

Sandbender, do they do PO boxes in town? that might get you over the potage issue (although your nearest town could be a ways... do they do dumps for getting rid of rubbish?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Andy, at those prices Lithuania could be the new france (for UK retirees).

What's the weather like?

Although I'd never get the missus to move to a different country from the (forthcoming) grandkids.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Hey Sandbender,
stick with the search, the right place will come up and if anyone can, you can, with help from the knowledge base of others on here (myself not included, I should add, I know very little !)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Backup heating and cooking is important, and I like the neighbour!

Hope it all works out mate

Thanks, she seemed friendly enough, the neighbours on the other side had a Border Collie which seemed just as friendly.

"...you should try getting some sort of water feature with the property. A stream or a spring up the hill would be perfect..."

Two wells! The area is known for having good groundwater, which is one of the reasons we've been looking there. :)
The thread title refers to an earlier house (in the same region) which with further investigation also had a well.

Lithuania looks fabulous, I hope to do a bit of wandering up there one day.

"...Sandbender, do they do PO boxes in town? that might get you over the potage issue (although your nearest town could be a ways... do they do dumps for getting rid of rubbish?

Yes to both, although being an officially recognised residential address has other benefits apart from postal delivery. Rubbish isn't that much of an issue, we shop at the market for food so have very little to dispose off. It would just be nice to have the option, I don't drive over here and couldn't afford a horse just yet. :)

Hey Sandbender,
stick with the search, the right place will come up and if anyone can, you can, with help from the knowledge base of others on here (myself not included, I should add, I know very little !)

We will, thanks for all the replies so far.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, sounds like you have several options.

A well is a good start but how good is it?

We have just had a borehole drilled on site (she notices no difference in her water...) sadly I missed this patiently fascinating operation.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Heck Andy, that's amazing value for money, you didn't leave a 0 off that figure did you?

Nope, that is cheap even here. The problem is that productive farms needs a lot of land. Small farms needs a lot of money to grow expensive stuff so there is not much interest in these small farms. The price is for the land only, if a big farmer grabs a farm like this, everything is demolished and turned into working land. In this case he paid for the land and the garden and all the buildings came with it... nice though if you don't want it "posh"... New houses are very expensive here too. Another friend of mine just finished and moved in after spending 150,000 E.

Andy, at those prices Lithuania could be the new france (for UK retirees).

What's the weather like?

Although I'd never get the missus to move to a different country from the (forthcoming) grandkids.

Yep. One fella from UK bough a house not far from me, paid 5,000 pounds, restored it a bit, but then his wife got very sick and they never moved in. You'd need about 500 pounds per month to live unstrained life with plenty things to do, so it's appealing, but the language is a big problem, in small towns not many people speak english. Weather is a bit colder with springs starting late april and snow early december.

Sandbender. Great plans mate! Wandering is now a thing of a past and maybe some thing I can do once again when retired. Now it's work, construct, invent, babies on the way, more land to buy and more trees to plant..... If you ever be in LT come and visit us ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE