a ground sheet for a polish tipi tent thing...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Ok i got one of these a while back and havent used it in anger yet, but im going to. i have put it up a few times to work out some things like how to use better storm pegs etc (done that) and a different closure mechanism like on old skool canvas ridge scout tents with the lacing loops (know how to do it still got to do it lol)

i have an IPK sheet i was planning to use as a ground sheet but its not quite what im looking for. I was thinking of getting something that i could cut to 6 inches or so bigger than the base of the tent so that i could fit eyelets to it and have a bit folded up inside to form a 'bucket' type groundsheet.

now shall i just get a 3m x 3m builders tarp (cheap, noisy and nasty)

or shall i look at making it from something else? Not sure nylon material will be durable enough, but it would be light and quiet to lay on. i thought about cotton canvas but that would add a lot of weight and im not sure it would work as a groundsheet

so does anyone have any suggestions? i may just use the IPK to cover half the ground and cut it to shape with eyelets for pegs to go through (the ones for the tent)

im not sure......this is what i have at the moment

polish.jpg

polish1.jpg

polish2.jpg

also i was thinking of using a bivi bag inside it to, what are peoples thoughts - i havent got loads of cash - i was looking at the belgian army one thats a waterproof bottom and a canvas top - this would suck in the open air but would it be ok in a tent? i dont need waterprof top really just something to keep me bag clean and dry from the ground up......

sorry for the rambling post.....

ed

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
not a bad idea, i was planning to use a wool blanket to line the floor above the ground sheet anyway.

might keep my eyes open for tents i can cannabalise at car boots aswell......

also what do people reckon is the best thing to waterproof it? i am a big fan of nikwax, but have only done small items with it so not sure what it would be like with a tent....

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
oh ok, cool thanks, does it cardboard out as it gets wetter?

if its anything like my old ridgetent then it can hold quite a bit of water before it comes through, and it sort of gets more waterproof the wetter it gets (until you touch it lol)

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I have bought one of these in a 5x7 size which should be about the right size to keep me and my kit off the ground - not had a chance to use it as yet, but looking forward to doing so :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE