A GB axe alternative ?

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
I have a Wetterlings Carpenters Axe which I use primarily for carving, and can't fault it! Holds a superb edge and didn't need that much work to get it there initially. I also use a cheaop Husky hatchet which also takes a good edge, but took a hell of a lot of work to get it there in the first place!

Qualitywise, the husky is nowhere near the GB stuff, but the Wetterlings, well, its a good as any GB axe I've used in the past - and a damn site cheaper!

Just my twopenn'th - no affiliations, bla....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wetterlings, Hultafors are about the same

Reeves, Ennockson, Cegga are better - in that they are made by an individual craftsman and the heads are full finished rather than left in the forged state

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I rather like the Hultafors - but the handle is thicker than the SFA which can be good or bad depending on personal preference.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Well, Ive had a GB and all was fine but I got rid of it for some reason. I need a new axe and want to try something other than GB. It's just for general camp stuff, splitting and chopping etc.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
I rather like the Hultafors - but the handle is thicker than the SFA which can be good or bad depending on personal preference.

I like Hultafors I have 2 both superb; at least 6 of my other axes are old Kent Pattern axes as well as a few of Hunters pattern Elwell & Brades the later axes all off fleabay & re hafted

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a Wetterlings Carpenters Axe which I use primarily for carving, and can't fault it! Holds a superb edge and didn't need that much work to get it there initially. I also use a cheaop Husky hatchet which also takes a good edge, but took a hell of a lot of work to get it there in the first place!

Qualitywise, the husky is nowhere near the GB stuff, but the Wetterlings, well, its a good as any GB axe I've used in the past - and a damn site cheaper!

Just my twopenn'th - no affiliations, bla....

Funny, I was under the impression that Wetterlings made the old style Husqvarna hatchet and that Hultafors makes the new version.

I have the old version which seems to me to be very good quality, no idea about the new ones.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Wetterlings, Hultafors are about the same

Reeves, Ennockson, Cegga are better - in that they are made by an individual craftsman and the heads are full finished rather than left in the forged state

I concur.

In terms of quality, ie fit and finish wetterlings are about the same.

Hultafors make very good axes too. I have their Scandinavian forest axe equivalent and it is a cracker. Though out of the box it was not quite up there with GB, the grain of the haft wasn't perfectly straight and the fitting of the head had split some wood at he top of the eye; but it was half the price. So I'll not complain.

Custom made axes are of a superior quality. Though you will pay the premium in most cases.
I would love a cegga axe.

Check out the axes by John Neeman. Cracking tools.

If by quality you mean as a working tool. There are numerous brands that will equal and surpass GB axes. Older Kent pattern axes are excellent tools.
I have. Couple and they are both wickedly sharp and will answer the call day in day out. I've also found they need little touching up after a carving session.

Andy

Jun 15, 2012
Sweden
Hi!

New member for starters, just browsing the forums tonight. First post!
+1 for the Roselli (R850)!
I have this and the Wetterlings LHA. And both split better than the Gransfors SFA, big time. Since I mostly use my axe for splitting, the Roselli is my go to axe from now on. Par it with saw and Mora, and that's about it :)

Mat

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Any pics Hugh!:D

dayxa1.jpg

DAM1.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE