A Day at the Beach

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Low tide clam digging? Clam and oyster beds have been cultivated on our BC coast for thousands of years.

I don't see any drift wood at all. Does it get scavenged quickkly?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The tide comes flying up this bit of sand and all the beach combing and drift wood material is at the foot of the dunes. There's very little sign of clams or any other molluscs like razor clams in the sand but plenty of shells indicating their presence somewhere on the coast nearby.

However, just around the corner from here, on the way from the car to the beach, there is a vast lawn of samphire :)

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'd be following those shells, looking for some food!
Sandy grooves in amongst a piece of intertidal rocky coastline?
What a grand excuse to go poke around by myself.
Packed lunch, hot drink, place to sit.
Then, I could replace the lunch with a small stove!

Everything on our coast has been poisoned for years by Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning.
I believe it affects the filter feeders and 1 oyster is enough to kill a person.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The very best place in the UK to forage for shellfish is the North West coast of Scotland - beautiful clear waters and abundant sea life.

There are a couple of coves near where we were though that do have edibles but there's better foraging up on the Llyn Peninsula and Anglesey

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Broch! I know this beach well! I know the samphire you speak of too :) I have seen huge mullet swimming in front of the 'lawn'

Clarach is good for rockpool forage ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE