A curious mound i found today...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
While out in the forest today i came across a raised mound about 5' long, 3' wide, and about 18" high, with the soil on the top looking an orangey colour and formed into little balls about the size of rice crispies. If anything the top looked like it had been breaded. I assumed it was an ants nest (i'm a city boy and that was all i could think of) but looking at it i found 2 small holes. One about halfway up on it's side that let me see that it was obviously at least partially hollow inside. Another at the base with a small worn trail leading from it for about 8" where all the leaves and debris had been moved away. Both holes were about 1½" across. This made me think of snakes, but once again i am no expert. Any idea what this could be?

I can post up some (pretty poor) pics from my mobile later if anyone needs them.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
The Mound
img20120214001ps.jpg

The lower hole with a trail
img20120214002.jpg

The upper hole (and the orangey earth)
img20120214004.jpg

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
I believe its customary that, when you find unusual things like this, you poke them with a stick. That usually brings out the critters inside

I did indeed have a little poke, i even gently tested it with my foot, but it was very solid, and no sudden outpourings of animals answered either call.

Where was that Fokwigga? I'm from your area so i might know it. It does sound a bit like a wood ants nest but hhard to be sure without a photo.

It was in Epping forest, i hope the photos help.

mole castle, as we used to call them.

Soil (clay in this case) is balled where it has rolled when been dug, being clay it holds it shape - the orange colour is the due to ferric oxide in the clay.

There was a secondary smaller mound a few feet from it but it didn't have any orange earth on it and was much smaller, so i didn't pay it much attention.

Hopefully it's not a grave anyway...

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The mound looks like some earth has been dumped there a while back or prehaps some old badger activity & the holes look like rat to me if they are about 6 cm in diameter then most likely they are...any smaller then prehaps wood mice or voles.
As Eds said, that is clay.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
The holes are about 1½" wide, so about 3-4cm, which seems a bit small for the rats i'm used to seeing in London anyway.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Is it possible that it's a badly buried animal, family pet, poacher butchered deer remains perhaps and that rat's etc are feeding on the remains?

Chasing Rainbows

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2011
Central Scotland
Epping Forest? I'd go with the earlier suggestion of a shallow grave myself..!!

Hehe 5' by 3' does sound ominous. I'd check if the surrounding soil matches the mound (somehow I doubt it does). I've seen that shape before where builders fly-tip unwanted supplies. The holes look ratty to me too. Maybe they're taking advantage of the better drainage provided by the already existing mound?

EDIT: If they're still occupied you'll be able to smell rats or weasel all too easily.

P.S. Stick poking isn't very neighbourly ;)

Edit2: I'm not saying it's a fly-tip, it just looks like the earth has been brought there and piled up.

Last edited:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
It might be worth phoning it in - worst case you might look a bit silly for phoning in a rats' nest/bit of fly tipping. If you don't phone it in and decide to do a bit more digging... worst case you'll have to answer lots of questions in a dimly lit room while being taped.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE