A cracking good leatherworking course.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Just spent a cracking weekend running a leatherworking course down in Cambridge.
I met Andor and his family at the Bushmoot last year and did some leatherwork with them as they had to fit looking after two little ones round their availability, therefore they couldn't really do the three day course. Anyway, they enjoyed it a lot, and asked me if I would come down their end of the country to do a course for their work colleagues. That's what we did this past weekend.

Here's some photos. We did the Saturday session in a church hall in Cambridge, and after a short talk on knife safety and handling, they cracked on with their projects. These folks are all professional book conservators, so they are already good with their hands and have worked with leather before, but never like this.

We all had a good scran half way through. The Thai curry and pumpkin soup was heating up in the church kitchen. It were deeeeelish!

On the Sunday, everyone turned up at Andor's house and we got cracking again.

Just some of the items produced.

Others had to leave early so I didn't get the chance to photograph the mystery braid belt and matching pouch, or the leather drinking tankard. Everyone made a waxed leather shot cup first though, and we christened them with a shot of Rakia (plum brandy).

All in all, everyone had a great weekend and I've been invited back to do another one. I may introduce them to tooling leather next time.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
If any of you fancy doing some leatherwork like this in a nice relaxed fun and friendly atomosphere, I'm doing another pre-moot three day course at this year's Bushmoot. Book a place with Shelly. (Don't leave it too late though as this is a very popular course.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE