A cracking axe....literally (couple of big pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
I bought myself a new axe last week: I'd been thinking about the Small Forest Axe for a while but I got to try one out recently and I felt it wouldn't be ideal as a two-handed axe for me (6'2" and 15 stone :D ) and a two-hander was what I wanted.

So I decided to go with another axe - about 2lb head, 20-some inch handle - based off a couple of recommendations here and elsewhere. It arrived, I took it into the garage and sharpened it up by hand, oiled the handle. She's looking fine...

original075-1.jpg

I'm feeling very pleased at this point. I took a couple of experimental swipes into a handy log.
"Chink"
That didn't sound right...

original078-1.jpg

original076-1.jpg

Nah, that definitely wasn't right. (Hope you can see the crack)

The edge itself was undamaged, as it had only hit wood (not the concrete floor). You can see a bit of duct-tape adhesive in the pic.
original079-1.jpg

So my question is has anyone else experienced this, or am I just super-unlucky? And what two-handed axe would you recommend?

The axe is going back to the retailer for a refund, by the way...

Cheers

Rat

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I got one for the wife from Argos. About 2.5lb if I remember rightly, and about eight quid I think. She likes it a lot. I usually like something bigger. :)

Oh, and no, I've never had one crack like that. Or at all, in fact.

You didn't do anything nasty to it with a grinder did you?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
should have got the GB scandinavian forest axe ;)

take it back though! that is unacceptable.

V

ViamFec

Well, it is like anything - even the best of gear - there will always be a few failures of the materials. There is no way for a maker when they are making hundreds or thousands of a product to be sure that 100% of a product is defect free

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
I reckon this is very unusual and you were unlucky I would reckon if the retailer will swop it for another the same you would be fine.

I agree with the above, I had it happen to a reasonably expensive parang first time it was used; It was replaced by the seller (not in UK) no problem

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
From your first post I assume this is a GB? If so as eveybody says it could be replaced and should be fine. I have however heard of a another couple that the edge has failed on and see a brand new Carver that chipped on its first ever use. Maybe the quality control is not a good as it was; maybe they are shifting such a high volume that the failure rate is still very low.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
No, it's not a GB. I haven't named the make because I don't think that's helpful.

Rat

Its a bit hard to say if this is unusual if we don't know what the axe is, same with recommending another one. I am not keen on naming and shaming on the internet but I think in this instance knowing what make it was would have been helpful. Looks like one of the Scandinavian factory ones.

rg598

Native
That sucks. It happens thought. I had a GB Wildlife Hatchet with a similar issue. GB is good at replacing their product. I am not sure about Hultafors, but I imagine the distributor will take care of it. Let us know how it turns out.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
that is very very bad luck, looks to me like the temper has been missed leaving the blade brittle, thats why its cracked by the looks of it...

should be fine if you swoped it though...:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE