A couple of Sundqvist style Holly spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I've not been bushcrafting or carving much these past few weeks as I had about 1cm of my right index finger bitten off by a dog :(

In my despair at losing the tip of my dominant hand's index finger (one of the most used parts of my body), I thought this crafting game was over - but now it's had chance to heal somewhat - I've stopped being silly and the other day I began work on a style of spoon that was the last type of spoon I carved before the incident.

dsc06763f.jpg

The larger one was the last spoon carved pre-incident, and the smaller one post-incident. Carved and sanded down through the grains I'm now pondering on what kind of oil to maximise grain contrast and to still be useable for eating off...boiled walnut? Tung? any ideas?

The Holly was a pleasure to carve, holding a nice firm edge and once sanded, they feel substantial and well weighted. The design came from my much loved book Green Woodworking by Drew Langsner, which has many good green woodworking projects in. Woodland pioneers in a week which I am looking forward to immensely.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Ouch for your finger Androo... but looking at the pre and post spoons it looks like you're back to where you were before as they're both lovely spoons goodjob

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Cheers :) I think so too, it may even give me a creative edge ;O) We shall see.

I really like this style, will definitely be doing some more in carvings to come...

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Cheers :)

Hah, good way to see it! Getting used to my finger being 1cm shorter is bloomin' annoying though, when I'm typing - it falls short, but I still think I've hit the key.. a bit of phantom sensation - 'tis weird.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
lovely work Androo,...

it seems all the most creative and capable artists have something missing,...

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Nice work bud.
I'm pleased that you are managing to carve to your own high standards again.
For what it's worth I think I prefer the second (post-trauma) spoon.
Good luck with the pioneers.If you need to borrow any kit you know where I am.
Simon

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
Thanks Simon. I can't wait till the tip of my finger can take the pressures I'm used to, I keep banging it when carving etc and it bl**dy hurts! But it's healing well.
I do like the style of these very much and will be carving a load more... also moving onto other established styles.
And cheers for the wellwishes for pioneers, looking forward to it very much, it'll be the start of a long relationship I'm sure.
I will also have some of my speciality jams for you inthe next few weeks, will deffo drop some in.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Sorry to hear about your mishap Androo, but glad you are not letting it get the better of you. A great attitude - and the spoon looks excellent, so definitely worth keeping up the carving :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE