A couple of Spurtles and a Spatula

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am at home with a Viral Chest Infection and going loopy with boredom - so I carved these - the Spurtles from seasoned Hazel, the Spatula from dry, if not fully seasoned Oak ... all of it very hard!
PA010005.jpg
PA010006.jpg
PA010007.jpg
OK - spurtles normally have thistle head terminals - but as I am rubbish at carving thistles I just carved heads.
Normally one of these carvings would take about an hour or so but as I am feeling so rough they took a day each....

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Hard woods hold good detail and you took advantage of that.
Look after yourself. Similar thing in June, was 2 steps away from the hospital.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Get Well Soon, Mr Fenna :)

Nice spurtles and spatula :D Kind of Easter Island/British Island fusion you've got going there.

M

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I think they should be christened..Boris and Yuri... Well, to me they look like a Boris and a Yuri (Both retired KGB)...:lmao:
Hope you're feeling better soon. :)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Nice work John, carving dry wood is hard on the hand and tool but you can get get better detail that way too.
I would ask about your blisters but I reckon you have welders gauntlets for skin on your hands by now.
Hope you mend soonest and your boredom spell ends.

Rob.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE