A Christmas favour, could somebody send me some flint please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 3, 2017
Outside
First off, this is a more of a request for a favor from a likeminded crafter than a purchase/sale/trade but if it should have been put in the B/S/T I'm sorry for misplacing it.

I really want to learn flint knapping. Which necessitates flint. I know I can practice with glass but finding glass which is thick enough is actually not that easy for me, and I want to try using flint anyway. Unfortunately I live in the Midlands, an area with essentially nil stone age archeology, because stone age man didn't setlle here... because there is no flint! Humbug!

There was this thread but the person who said they could send me some fell through, which is fine and I can understand around Christmas. Then there is this but that is a bit of a last resort being very expensive for what it is.

So, as a Christmas favour from this lovely comunity, could somebody who lives in a flint-rich area (Southwest of England normally, especially near the coasts I think) please send me a box of rocks? I will of course reimburse all fees for the courier of your choice and we can sort all that on PM. You will also be rewarded with lots of pretty pictures of my ameteurish efforts through the coming weeks.

Finally, a merry Yule to all and I wish you many more!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not being cheeky, but honestly you'd be better buying the box from the Lord's.
There's flint and there's flint, if I make myself clear (archaeologist here)...and the Lord's won't send you carp stuff.

Mind too that not having flint didn't mean that people didn't utilise other stones. Good chert is every bit as good a middling flint, and pitchstone, bloodstone and the like are superb.

M

Sep 3, 2017
Outside
Not being cheeky, but honestly you'd be better buying the box from the Lord's.
There's flint and there's flint, if I make myself clear (archaeologist here)...and the Lord's won't send you carp stuff.

Mind too that not having flint didn't mean that people didn't utilise other stones. Good chert is every bit as good a middling flint, and pitchstone, bloodstone and the like are superb.

M

Fair enough Toddy, I'll take the advice of someone who sounds like they know a lot more than me on the matter! I'm actually looking forward to learing form Will Lord at some point, but it's nice to have something to occupy my hands in the evenings of the dark half of the year. There's probably a btter way to put that, but ho hum.

Pictures of my efforts to follow one day...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What's your local stone ? Find a Victorian geologic map of your locale....they were the ultimate practical capitalists, they actually mapped the entire country for natural chemical resources, from sulphur to flint, from feldspar to metallic ores. Finding that kind of information, and actually going and walking (I know England can have restrictive access, but the UK has superb park and public spaces, etc., and the foreshore is Crown Property and no one's going to grudge you a few hand sized stones from a rocky beach; besides it's a good day out, a good way to find the reality in the source, iimmc ) those sites, will give you an appreciation and a building experience of what you're actually looking at, and the potentials thereof.

Like this.....
http://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsUK/planning/resource.html

There are masses of such resources available. Geological maps, mineral maps, Victorian County surveys, etc., the list is enormous.

Basically, it's easy to sit back and armchair it; but truthfully if you don't get out there and actually experience the land itself, you will always have a limited view.
Travel can be expensive, but what's on your own doorstep ?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
We're on chalk and real flint and I'll happily send you a box of shards or big nodules for you to break down. No idea on postage, but I can see why the Lords flint is priced so high.

Where in the Midlands are you? You could maybe have a weekend down here and gather what you like, I can certainly find you accommodation or camping areas.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE