A cheaper way to buy fabric

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Wanted some cotton to make facemasks with. To buy it by the metre worked out at about £3/square metre. Bought a brand new King sized flat sheet (over 9m2) for just under £10. I don't know if this is something you can get at charity shops (I needed a specific colour as it's for a uniformed group) but it's a considerable saving even on new fabric.

Reactions: MrEd and Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Quilters often buy cotton sheets and duvet covers to back their quilts.
If the choice is 'good' cotton, not the almost cheeseclothy stuff, then the result is very sound.
Sheets are good, but the duvet cover comes with two sides, iimmc ? :)

M

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I have a really nice quality sheet in my fabric box but it's too fine for masks - the one I made from it before is almost impossible to breath through!

Reactions: Toddy

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Wanted some cotton to make facemasks with. To buy it by the metre worked out at about £3/square metre. Bought a brand new King sized flat sheet (over 9m2) for just under £10. I don't know if this is something you can get at charity shops (I needed a specific colour as it's for a uniformed group) but it's a considerable saving even on new fabric.
I used to do that quite often as a student (I did a lot more sewing back then). Sales in particular were great for picking up good quality fabric cheaply, especially if the colour was less important.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
While I mind; Ikea are selling a pure cotton, 140cm wide in a kind of slate blue, for £2 a metre just now. They had cream listed too, but none available in Glasgow last week.
Ditte is the name.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I was looking as fabric dust sheets for some project I've since forgotten

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a really nice quality sheet in my fabric box but it's too fine for masks - the one I made from it before is almost impossible to breath through!
I did the same thing with some really nice quilting cotton. Felt like I was suffocating.
I had a couple of un-used 'protective' suits....used on bio-hazard type digs.....that I knew I'd never use now, so I cut them up instead.

Reactions: spandit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE