A bone buckle.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Luverly work Mr Fish,

I really like that, keep meaning to have a play with bone as I fancy making a Hnefatafl for myself. (I've a resin one with a cloth board which is great for taking camping). The buckle just loos so right and tactile, I really want to pick it up.

inspirational stuff as ever sir!

GB.

like this in Baltic amber and walrus....mmmmmmmmmmmmm

1_zps11940a0c.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
like this in Baltic amber and walrus....mmmmmmmmmmmmm

1_zps11940a0c.jpg
Nice board and pieces that! I really should give it a go. Could keep it simple to begin with which would also keep it smaller and lighter to carry as as most of my kit is old-school and not light! (I do prefer natural materials to use though so my fault!)

Is the board yours or did you fine it on the net? Great game and very addictive - I prefer it to chess but not many folks play. (Yet!)

Cheers and beautiful work again.

GB.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cool! Better not show them the wife as she has a thing for the Lewis chessmen and keeps ssuggesting I try and copy them, as if it doesn't take vast amounts of skill etc! I made a mistake of showing her pics of the "Charlemagne" chess set which didn't help.

http://history.chess.free.fr/charlemagne.htm

atb

Tom

ps just started sawing up the first dog bone, doing it slowly by hand and it don't smell so bad.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
So far just a really bad smell. I've taken the ends off of the cartoon dinosaur type bone and split it so I can see where the fibrous bits are. Tomorrow I'll hook the Hoover up to the belt sander and gentle flatten the bits I select to make the knife scales. I'll save all the other bits to make awls, needles and what have you, there should be enough for a couple of buckles as well.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
This morning I gave up on the bone saw for the roughing out and slapped a new fine toothed blade on the Makita and sliced the 2 bones up into managable pieces wearing a mask and with the family ordered out of the shed.

bonecutting01_zps273945dd.jpg

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
When id ground off the porous bits of the bone shaped bone it was not wide enough for the scales so i had to use the thick end piece.

Anyroad, I've taken it as far as I can with the power saw and belt sander so the rest will be done with hand tools/ sand paper.

bonecutting02_zps2124d47e.jpg

Did a few pins/needles with the trimmings, a bit rough but Ive plenty to practice on.

ATb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! It's a interesting material. I finished shaping the skills and rather than leave well alone decided to copy some of the decoration on the excavated knife. The scales felt a bit slippy without some cross hatching anyway. I think I will try to do some ring and dots. The lines are a bit skew whiff but its all good experiance/learning.

image_zpsa4582a6a.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE