a bit of spoon help needed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
the starts of a folding cherry eating spoon,have any of you guys done any? any pics ? i could do with some help on the design,i can on;ly find one pic of one on the net!
DSC044341 by fishfish_01, on Flickr

thanks for looking.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh I like that. Never seen one before. Have seen other jointed things but never wooden eating irons.
Sorry I can't help with any info though I'll have a dig through some old books on museum pieces of kitchen stuff and see if it's something I'd missed before.
Good to see you back by the way not seen you about much. How are the family?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Very interesting concept/design, not seen anything like this before. :cool:
My first thought was about the hinge pin then I scrolled down and saw the example has what looks to be a peined over metal pin, so that could be done with a small brass or copper nail or sturdy wire.
It will need a projection from the handle to locate on the bowl ( or a square joint edge) to stop it dropping, not sure if this is feasible from a one piece carving or if in fact the two parts were carved separately from the one stick.
Very interested in how you resolve this and other people's ideas/comments too.:)

Super project to do,

Rob.

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
Brilliant idea. Can't wait until the talented among us come up with their versions.

A tutorial would not do any harm either.:thinkerg:

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Oh I like that. Never seen one before. Have seen other jointed things but never wooden eating irons.
Sorry I can't help with any info though I'll have a dig through some old books on museum pieces of kitchen stuff and see if it's something I'd missed before.
Good to see you back by the way not seen you about much. How are the family?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

cheers mate,family all well. not been on much as its a real busy time of year with the veg plots and all the other outdoorsy stuff!

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Very interesting concept/design, not seen anything like this before. :cool:
My first thought was about the hinge pin then I scrolled down and saw the example has what looks to be a peined over metal pin, so that could be done with a small brass or copper nail or sturdy wire.
It will need a projection from the handle to locate on the bowl ( or a square joint edge) to stop it dropping, not sure if this is feasible from a one piece carving or if in fact the two parts were carved separately from the one stick.
Very interested in how you resolve this and other people's ideas/comments too.:)

Super project to do,

Rob.

sure is fun,i think my hinge is not right looking at the scottish original,will play and see.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Very clever! Looks great! Can't give any help I'm afraid as my spoons are still little more than functional :D

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury

Ah yes, see the square bit on the joint knuckle, pretty sure that spoon was made from two parts with the "tenon" of the handle made to fit the open "mortice" of the spoon.
Very clever and skillful work...now on my list of things to try. Cheers fishfish, I think many of us will be having a crack at this. :D

Rob

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's come out a real stotter. You'll have to treat yourself to a big bowl of porridge to eat it with now to celebrate.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Superb idea to photograph it with the dictionary open on that page - I love it!!!

Oh, and a great bit of carving and ageing, too................Nice work :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE