A big complaint

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
I was told a feral cat would do the job if you didn’t feed them, you sometime find them in the small adds

I have always used the traditional traps, use chocolate melted onto the bait spike, a malteeser works great, means they cant snatch it off, I was also told to use powdered glass in jam which is better than having poison about but dont want anything like that around kids or other animals that may ingest it

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
if they are coming from nextdoor have a word with the council.

We charge for mouse treatment (not rats though) - that includes traps and poison. How ever if the main problem is rodents coming form a nextdoor property they should take action under: Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949 - espcially section 4

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/RevisedStatutes/Acts/ukpga/1949/cukpga_19490055_en_1

PM if you want some advice.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Have you considered really really small landmines?

swmbo brought a mouse home from a country outing once in her backpack, oh the joys of trying to capture the little bugger at 3am in my sons room.... ended up removing nearly all the furniture barring a draw set in the corner and a couch.
at one point it went missing but rather then hiding under/in the couch he had done a mission impossible and was climing up the back of the draw set, paws on the wall and paws on the chest.
amazing feat of acrobatics that quickly earned him a lead pellet. i'd just spent several hours trying to capture him but there comes a time when you've just got to get ruthless.

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
I agree with Martyn - the Rentokil Advanced traps are the absolute mutts spuds. I got some from Robert Dyas when we had an infestation a few years back. These traps killed 6 mice - very quick, didn't know what hit them. Baited with peanut butter or Nutella. No mice since. The humane traps are a right swine, insofar as even if they work, you then have to take the mice about 3-4 km to release them, otherwise, they'll probably be back at your house before you are.
The larger rat versions are good for rats, but they are harder animals to trap. Mice tend to follow a course around walls and skirting boards; rats go all over the place. We had rats in our loft - 3 it turned out. Got 1 with the rentokil, one with a sticky board, and the third with poison - it died in the garden, as I found out when I trod on it's body one morning putting the rubbish out for collection. I must have jumped 3 feet into the air.:eek:
The electronic repellers seem to be as much use as voodoo.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
We've been using a non-lethal mouse trap anytime we had problems, worked like a charm every time.
Design was a lot like this one:
15-a52aa8ca-799b-4e46-8a04-bbba7e610dcd.jpg

Just attach some cheese (or whatever) on the inside, mouse runs in, touches cheese, trap closes, walk away with mouse to some field or forest, release mouse. Simple & painless :)

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Hi Will,
try pest control glue boards. just a sheet of paper with adesive on one side, stick them near where your mice are active . the mouse runs over the sheet and becomes trapped on the glue, no pain, i just sticks the mouse. then you can either dispatch the mouse or let it free.
ATB
Josh

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was told those are illegal unless there's no other way. Rodents will chew their feet off to escape said the man who told me that. :dunno: T or F ??

cheers,
Toddy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I was told those are illegal unless there's no other way. Rodents will chew their feet off to escape said the man who told me that. :dunno: T or F ??

cheers,
Toddy

I heard a similar device was being sent to Troops in the sandy places to combat the dreaded camel spider, I think it was on the One Show a few weeks back which I just happened to be watching at the time for reasons I cannot begin to imagine!

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Sorry to be flippant but I can remember a tiny bit of a poem which went;

Mix
Money marbles and meat
Stick to a sheet.

Next morning you will have caught some gnomes!......:rolleyes:

Swyn.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I use the traps mentioned in the original post and not had a problem with them. I often hear them go off and get to them right away so I know the mouse has been killed quickly. Perhaps the springs are variable? I've used the traditional mouse traps in the past and have had them just wing a mouse and had to dispatch it myself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE