90's Jeep cherokee's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MT606

Nomad
Jan 17, 2013
North of the southern wall.
Has anyone on here owned a early to late 90's model of the above? Am thinking of getting one as a 2nd car/occasional towing unit and am wondering if there are known issues with them/ things that I should pay attention to if I go look at one.

tar

M

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have owned two. POS.
The chassis is very weak and flexible, if you park with one wheel on the curb you can not close door/doors/tailgate properly.
Interior is truly 'USA', plastic that ages and brakes.
The first one I had the 4 litre engine. Thirsty like mad. Car still slow and awful roadhandling. Lots of slippage in auto gearbox.
Second one I had, I bought with the 2.5 TD.
A joke. Noisy, slower than a Defender 300 TD.

Why I had two? I got the best trade in price there for the Grand Cherokee I took with me while moving from Sweden. Then the best deal when I traded in the 4.0.
I managed to sell the 2.5 TD privately.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I had a 1994 model. Lasted 14 years and nearly 200,000 miles (both on highway and off-roading) The standard V6 gasoline engine (4.6 liters) and got about 17 miles to the US gallon (21.25 miles to the British gallon) Mileage seemed unaffected city vs highway driving but it did drop when in 4WD. I expect you have the option to get a diesel engine instead so you should expect better mileage. (although I was happy with 17 miles/gallon---I get less now that I drive a full sized truck) Tow capacity was rated the same as any other 1/4 ton truck would be rated: 5,000 pounds with a limit of 50 square feet area on the front of whatever was being towed. (you'll need a tranny cooler if you're gonna tow a lot) Honestly if you wanna tow more than that you should get a full sized truck instead. All performance will be improved if you get the bigger V8 engine but mileage will drop. Known weaknesses? It's a Jeep and Jeep=RUST!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I think they only sold the 4.0l petrol and 2.5 TD in UK.
The Grand Cherokee sold with the V8.

Yes, horrible fuel efficiency.

Remember, no sane ( and very few insane) people would even think of getting an US full sized truck in Europe.
Expensive to buy, run, repair and insure, plus we are used to higher quality.

A Ford f150 raptor with the 3.5 l V6 is close to UKP 80 000. That is about 107 000 USD.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Who said a full sized American truck? I'm fine with a full sized Toyota or Nissan too. BUT! If you're gonna do regular towing of heavier loads, it needs to be the full sized (half ton=Toyota Tundra or Nissan Titan) ones; not the mid sized ones (Toyota Tundra or Nissan Frontier)

Nothing wrong with the smaller (mid sized) trucks or with the Cherokee; but they are what they are (mini vehicles) You get better mileage, and fit in tighter places (especially when 4-wheeling) but that ain't what a towing vehicle is about. If you value mileage more than performance (and comfort) that's fine. But be aware, you have to pick one or the other or an in between compromise.

I thought Jeep had been offering the diesel version in the UK for a decade or more?

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Both the Tundra and Titan are made in the US.
Us designed, developed and built. With US designed, developed and built engines.
For the US market.

In Europe we do tow stuff too, but only need smaller vehicles.
My neighbour in Mayfield had a two horse horsebox. Had a Defender or a Mercedes E to tow them with. I moved 10 years ago, not sure what he uses now.

You fo not need a huge vehicle, a smaller is just fine.
Think Humvee vs G-wagen.

We do not classify a Cherokee as a mini vehicle.

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A 2 horse box isn't a heavy load. Even loaded it'll still be below that 5000 pound --- 50 square foot frontal area limit. If the OP's tow requirements are that light, the Cherokee will be fine. But he'll still need the tranny cooler. (unless of course the previous owner already installed one)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Try out a new Fiat 500. Nor that is a mini vehicle!

Just a little bit bigger than our supermarket trollies, but does not load as much!
:)

Edit: I am not sure if you can tow the “US size” stuff on a European A drivings license?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Those were big horses. You should have seen the size of the poo when they defecated outside my house on the lane!
I did not buy fertilizer, they delivered it for free!

It is true, they always crapped outside mine and neighbours house.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm not sure of the licensing requirement they now either. However when I was there in the mid and late 1980s we all just had our US state licenses plus a 3rd AF endorsement and some GIs had full sized (30 to 40 foot) RVs they had shipped over and towed around. I still had a smaller 1982 Toyota pick-up at the time with a 2 liter 4 banger engine and 4WD.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Those were big horses. You should have seen the size of the poo when they defecated outside my house on the lane!
I did not buy fertilizer, they delivered it for free!

It is true, they always crapped outside mine and neighbours house.

Unless they were draft horses, a "big" horse is around 1200 pounds. So 2400 to 2500 pounds for the pair and another 1500 to 2000 pounds for the trailer. Still pretty light as towed loads go.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
No, these were show horses. But crapped big!

But what would you tow that is so heavy?
For heavy stuff we would use a tow truck.

Interesting how different our vehicle cultures are!

I personally love US v8’s.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Our V8s are Ok but personally I'd rather have a diesel option (they're not as common here until you go up to the 3/4 ton class or bigger. Not unheard of, but rare.

A 4 horse trailer with cowboy quarters in the front would be more than twice as heavy. So would a bigger RV. A bale of hay is around 1500 to 2000 pounds so a flat farm trailer with a scant 6 bales would top between 11,000 to 14,000 pounds when you add in the tare (empty trailer) weight. Ordinary farm and/or recreational loads.

Edit to add: anybody regularly pulling those loads here would go up to at least a 3/4 ton truck (if not a 1 ton) But I expect the OP isn't going to use his Cherokee for any of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I am dalivating, thinking of a rig that size.
Mind you, I usually rent vehicles like that, just for fun.

Last time I rented the Challenger Hellcat.

OP, sorry about this diversion.

My recommendation is - no Cherokee,

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Possibly, but I think it's more likely the squared body shape with all the nooks and crannies to catch dirt and moisture.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I've had two UK 90's Cherokee's, 2.5td Sports. Both were reliable, fairly compact, smaller than other 4x4's I've had, and I enjoyed having them. The downside's for me were that the rear seat is only one piece for folding and having the spare in the boot space, I worked around these issues and just put up with them.
Off roading capability is very good, beam axle front end like Wranglers, Defenders, Landcruisers, Patrols's, etc; towing was fine pulling a 1 ton trailer.

MT606

Nomad
Jan 17, 2013
North of the southern wall.
thanks for the replies,

so no real rust areas/mechanicals to look out for like in LR defenders/series wagons? or parts that tend to go tits up more so than other parts (head gaskets or timing chain etc ? ) anyone had a vehicle with LPG conversions? alot of the 4lt petrols seem to have them by the looks of things.

m

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
At that age any small parts could go bad: water pump, starter, alternator, etc. And of course the belts. But no more so than any other vehicle. Of course a lot depends on how the previous owners used and maintained it.

Rust IS definitely an issue with ALL Jeeps regardless of model; although I don't have any 1st hand experience with Land rovers so i can't compare them. Most people here buying a Jeep that old (usually a Wrangler but sometimes a Cherokee) are doing so as a platform to rebuild a custom project upon rather than as a second vehicle.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE