60th anniversary of D-Day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Theres lots of coverage over here. I think people are looking for a certain clarity of purpose against the muddled politics of today. A collector friend had promised to show me a zeltbhan, which we have discussed @ equipped. He makes annual trips to Europe and bought this in Normandy. To his amazement I turned it over and discovered a fading british regimental stamp that participated in the initial landing. We can only imagine it was pressed into service and some efficient stores clerk entered it in the inventory. I took my uncle's collection out. He was a Black Widow night fighter pilot. He managed to get shot down in a Wellington as an observer during the invasion and was rescued by the resistance. I have a few of the tricolour invasion notes to replace Vichy currency. I took these as a whim to this local french bakery today. The ladies are Bretons in the traditional lace who cook crossaints and pastries to die for. I casually slipped a few in along with my USD's.The ladies began to talk rapidly, holding up the notes and crying. I had to explain where they were from. They announced I had some change due and produced a bottle of Armanac, discovered by my uncle during his escape. I had to smuggle it into the rest home today. A CNN poll found 47% of americans knew who we were fighting on Normandy! Just some ramblings on another overcast day with equally clouded people about.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's all go here, I've been following it on the TV....It's quite interesting to see the scale of what was involved as even though I have looked into it I still did not appreciate it's entirety.
It was a lot of blood spilt, very sobering.... :ekt:

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
I think this anniversary should never be forgotton - and the sacrifice that was made to alow us the freedom to do what we want to do.

It is like the country skills that we all practice, if we don't teach our children then the skills and memories will be lost forever.

Respect to all who fought to retain our independance and liberate all occupied countries.

JFW

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
What they did was a truly amazing thing. Not only for the freedom of the UK but also of the Jews, Slavs, gays, blacks and any other ethnicity.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
We too had a small but significant rememberence service here at the war memorial and prayers were had at many of the church services.

This is something that has happened here since the start of the war on Iraq. We southerners final starting recognising the men and women that volunteer to serve with British army after independance and gave up there lives for the worlds freedom.

Respect to them all we owe them our freedom.

James

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
My Grandfather was in the RAF and was resued from the beaches of Dunkirk.

he said that the fear factor there was something that people will likely never exoerience again. And to be honest I hope that is true.

One sobering thought tho ( and I am not after a political argument) is how the roll of the merchant seamen who risked their lives protecting the naval convoys along the Coast of Norway have never been recognised by the British Government. An uncle of mine who recently died told how thay had received a medal from Russia in 1985 in recognition for the job done.

The " russian medal" was accompanied by a letter from the Home office if i remember rightly saying that the medal was never to be worn in rememberence parades as it would be frowned upon.

30,000 merchant seamen died during the protection/support of the naval convoys, the sunken ships are not recognised as war graves and are open to pillaging.

A sobering thought huh, you risk life and limb for you country, only for then to say you were never officially there!

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I am one member of the youth who appreciates what the veterans did for the freedom and democracy of this country 60 years ago. It really is amazing to think what they did for this country , they died for what they believe in and for me that is somthing to bow your head and say thanks for the freedom they gave us.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE