6000 miles thats one hell of a Trek

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Accused of murder twice? Chased by natives with bows and arras!!!

Now thats one tough fella, both mentally and physically..

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
A great achievement for sure but 3.4 mph????

Not if he was hacking his way. He would have been on good trails to achive that speed.

If it was a typo and he's doing 3.4 miles in a day that's more credible.

It doesn't say whether he has guides or not. Anyone know??

Mr Stafford averaged around 3.4mph a day as he trudged through the dense and difficult terrain.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
So he did about 30 miles a day in the jungle??

Me thinks there was a lot of cleared land or savannah around and good tracks and roads. Only bits of jungle. Gruelling walk nonetheless. Media distortion.

its cleaerly a typo... and the h has been added in error. as an expedition manager specializing in jungles i can tell you that 3.4 mpD is quite good going.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
its cleaerly a typo... and the h has been added in error. as an expedition manager specializing in jungles i can tell you that 3.4 mpD is quite good going.

I would have thought its exceptional going. Hats off to this Guy indeed... amazing stuff.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I had a look at the blog's early jungle phase July08

He does speak of going 35km + in a day but mentions that this was on good track and "spanking new logging roads". The reporter dropped the reference to that in preference to "dense and difficult terrain". Tracks and dirt roads are often mentioned.

In fact for much of the jungle phase he travelled intelligently, avoiding jungle bashing where possible, using trails tracks and roads or floating down river on his inflatable raft or in dugouts. It's amazing how wide the Amazon is so far upstream.

Lots of stops in villages and towns and the occassional hotel treat. The Andean phase looks wonderfull

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
I had a look at the blog's early jungle phase July08

He does speak of going 35km + in a day but mentions that this was on good track and "spanking new logging roads". The reporter dropped the reference to that in preference to "dense and difficult terrain". Tracks and dirt roads are often mentioned.

In fact for much of the jungle phase he travelled intelligently, avoiding jungle bashing where possible, using trails tracks and roads or floating down river on his inflatable raft or in dugouts. It's amazing how wide the Amazon is so far upstream.

Lots of stops in villages and towns and the occassional hotel treat. The Andean phase looks wonderfull

I just had to clarify this because i think it detracts from his achievement.

He did not float down the river in his raft AT ALL. He may have crossed the river in his raft but even if he went a tiny bit too far down stream, the rules stated that he must back trek to the point exactly perpendicular to where he crossed and walk from there.

I am sure thats what you meant to say anyway ;)

taken from the official site:

Couldn’t you just use your rafts to float down the river?

Sometimes we’ve needed to cross the main channel. To avoid accusations that Ed is navigating any part of the river by boat, if the main channel of the river is crossed in a hand-paddled craft, Ed has to return to the point perpendicular to the point where he entered the water on the other side, and continue walking from there. This rule is designed to stop any use of the river’s flow to advance Ed in a craft.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Yup I missed that bit about going back if mileage was gained. there is one bit where he did float down but then walked back and I missed the walking back bit.

Now I would have used that raft most days :0

Just so as no one thinks there is any dispute that it is a great achievement, the initail clarification is that no one can sustain 3.4 mph or 30 miles/km a day off trail in the jungle and that was due to a reporter taking Ed's quote out of context and a probable typo

Last edited:

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Yup I missed that bit about going back if mileage was gained. there is one bit where he did float down but then walked back and I missed the walking back bit.

Now I would have used that raft most days :0

Just so as no one thinks there is any dispute that it is a great achievement, the initail clarification is that no one can sustain 3.4 mph or 30 miles/km a day off trail in the jungle and that was due to a reporter taking Ed's quote out of context and a probable typo

hehe but using the raft he wouldnt have walked it then.... and thus wouldn't have had any record. it was already canoed in 2008. i was just making sure people knew that he had walked. anyone going to his talk in october?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE