5 Items Or Less.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
seeing as not many people have entered we could exstend it again to give people a chance....

whats the thought of the group?????

I personally would not extend, but its totally up to you
There's snow expected next month and with less than 5 items that could be difficult

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
im not at the stage of just going out with a knife yet but its my end goal... i can however go out make a shelter make a fire and make water safe to drink with just a blade......;)

im not very good at plant id and safe foods, traps are fine but my sort would not be legal.....:)

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
im not at the stage of just going out with a knife yet but its my end goal... i can however go out make a shelter make a fire and make water safe to drink with just a blade......;)

im not very good at plant id and safe foods, traps are fine but my sort would not be legal.....:)

I need to practice bow and hand drill. I go out to have a nice time but its a skill i would like to learn.
I know a few plants and wild foods but not many, im ok with deadfall traps :)

I would like to learn tree id, more plants and fungi, friction fire. Also i can do some things with a knife but cannot sharpen without my DC4.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well beenn, if it was very easy to do from the star every person in the world would do it....

if your ever up my way give me a shout and i will give you some lessons dude...;)

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Here's my entry... :)

I set off in the afternoon with my 3 items, the weather didnt look great but it was the only chance i would get to go out before the end of the month.
Here's what i took:
Crusader mug, Mora knife and firesteel.
Free items: Phone, FAK and Nato water bottle.
kit.jpg

It was around a 2 mile walk in then i come to a nice little spot where i have camped before, which had alot of dead standing wood to make my shelter. Shelter had alot of upright wood then a layer of bracken then another layer of everything i could pull off the dead wood.
shelter1.jpg

shelter2.jpg

shelter3.jpg

shelterback.jpg

The floor in the shelter was relatively dry but i put down a layer of twigs then leaves to insulate myself from the ground.

My next task was to get a fire going, I found some birch polypore but ended up using birch bark to get the fire going.
birchpolypore.jpg

I made some feathersticks and collected thin dry wood for kindling.
fireprep.jpg

and after a few failed attempts the fire was up and going!
fire-1.jpg

As time got on i was low on water as building the shelter i got very thirsty, so i went down to a stream..
stream.jpg

I filtered the water through my t-shirt
filterwater.jpg

filterwater2.jpg

then put it on the fire to boil..
boilingwater-1.jpg

boilingwater2.jpg

After the water boiled i put it into the nato water bottle, boiled another mug of water and put the mug in the stream to make the water cool quicker.

I know the body can go around 3 weeks without food.. but at this stage i was hungry! So i set about foraging some foods.
I came across this fungi on a dead tree stump but as i was unsure of it i left it where it was...
fungi.jpg

I found some jews ear fungi:
jewsearfungi2.jpg

jewsearfungi.jpg

Gorse
gorse-1.jpg

gorsebush.jpg

Added some nettles and put it on the fire.. As it boiled i made a eating unit which ended up as a spork...

curvedfork.jpg

fork.jpg

After food it started to become dark so i sat around the fire. Before long i retired to bed.
nightsky.jpg

Couldnt get to sleep at first but once i dropped off i only woke up once feeling cold as the fire had died down, i added more wood then went right back to sleep.

In the morning i went for a wonder and had some blackberries for breakfast.
blackberries.jpg

blackberries2.jpg

The river was up high but fortunately it had not rained in the night:
riveruphigh.jpg

Hunger called again so i gathered some nettles, woodlice and worms.
woodlicewormsnettles.jpg

Added some water and put it on to boil
woodlicewormsnettlestoboil.jpg

After an hour or two walking around i scattered the fire ashes, took down the shelter and put everything back to how it was.
As i walked home the sun came up and was a lovely end to a nice night out :)
scenery.jpg

Had a really nice night out and look forward to doing it again! The only thing i would of really liked was a sleeping bag/blanket but i had a nice night

Thanks for the competition :)

Last edited:

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Looks like a great trip out, did well without a blanket so your set up must have been warm and toasty.
How did those worms taste? :)

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Blimey, that's hardcore! What did those woodlice taste of? I heard they taste a bit like prawns...!

Looks like a great trip out, did well without a blanket so your set up must have been warm and toasty.
How did those worms taste? :)

Not actually as bad as they look! the woodlice are crispy if just fried but fried with a bit of nettle and almost a 'soup' nothing wrong with them atall!:)

OK, My 5 Items are based on me spending a night in Brockwell woods (I take it getting fresh water from the Farm hose Tap is not allowed.

This is what I would take:

1. Ferro Rod - Ultimate Survival Technologies Strikeforce (It comes with a wetfire cube inside the lid: If this is not allowed, then just the Ferro Rod)
2. Metal Water bottle - Guyott Designs Metal water bottle
3. Tarp - DD Tarp (It comes with Paracord and Tent pegs: If they are not allowed, then just the tarp)
4. Knife - Mora
5. Saw - Bacho Laplander

Does my boot laces get a pass, I use 10 feet of Paracord in each Boot.

I Figure the things I would take are the things that are the Hardest and / or most time consuming to replicate in the wilderness

• Yep I could possibly start a fire from a bow drill, but realistically I have had limited success, However a Ferro rod has never failed me, Birch bark Thistledown Dried Grass, even a piece of my clothing all make good tinder and of cause there's good old Wetfire. This saves both Time and Calories.
  • A Metal Water Bottle gives me a container to carry water in, a container to store safe drinking water in and a pot to boil water from the stream in to make it safe. Stops Dehydration, Waterborne Pathogens, Wards off Hypothermia, Aids Shock Recovery and most importantly lifts morale. hmmm Pine needle tea :)
  • The Tarp, I can make a shelter, there are plenty of materials available but it is so time consuming to build a one that sheds water sufficiently.
  • A Knife, well does this really need an explanation?
  • A Folding saw, yes I could use a knife to chop wood for a fire or limbs to make a shelter etc... but its time consuming, Using a saw is way more easy Saves both Time and Calories.
Well there you have my entry.

If my Item 2. Metal Water bottle - Guyott Designs Metal water bottle gets a free pass then I'd go with a Headlamp, Makes seeing in the dark so much easier, and makes going for a leak during the dark hours much more safe.

Food is abundant in Brockwell, It is far from being the best 5 star meal you'll have but Thistle Dandilion Leaves & Root, Sorrel, Hawthorn Berries, Snails Mushrooms etc are there. oh and ofcasue it's covered with cute little bunnies

Last edited:

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Nice entry beenn!
I'm gutted I missed my last opportunity before the end of the month, didn't finish work and get home till 6 - and it was sun down at 7, not enough time to get to the woods and build a shelter. :(

A

andyBruce

Given the time to try this, I'd be looking to take:

1. Laplander folding saw (sharp!)
2. A good sharp Knife
3. A Billy Can
4. A good length of cord, suitable for bow drill
5. Hmm, TBC i think, most likely some form of food!

I like this idea but i! I'd be looking at making shelter from the surroundings, natural cordage and where possible food for free!

However, I cant get out again for another two weeks! not amused, although I did manage an impromptue night out
last night, I managed to pack absolutely everything i could think of in the 5 mins i spent in the house after work before rushing to the woods!

however, in my haste, i left my sleepingbag in the car! oops!!!

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
nice work beenn, hmmmm i like woodlice too, my Mrs thinks im nuts to eat them though...:)

Right then, the comp is now FINISHED!!!!!! :(:(:(:(:(

i will start a new "vote" thread in the bushcraft chatter area, all comments welcome and of course who should win the blade..:)

sorry for the wait but my interweb has been off...:(

speek soon gents...

chris.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
sorry for the wait but my interweb has been off...:(

i,ve missed yooooooooooooooo

mate,...please PM me your new mob no,...

what you upto next fri / sat / sun ?

you allowed to play out?,..i,m goin to Wales if you want to jump in the car ......

Arizroughrider

Forager
Apr 24, 2010
Prescott, Arizona USA
1. Roger C. Linger "Dog Leg" Wilderness Survival Knife.
2. Slumberjack "Denali Super Guide" 30 degree bag
3. USMC Field Tarp
4. Nalgene G.I. Style BPA free canteen
5. MSR "Titan" Large Titanium Pot.
* Pictured on a L.L. Bean Canvas/Leather Continental Rucksack

fivepieces.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE