5 Items Or Less.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Not that I'm going to do it - but this is what I would take:

Laplander Saw (on the premise I could sharpen up the back edge to make a knife if needed with a stone - but a saw will give me shelter, firewood and bone cutting ability with less energy than a knife or axe)
Light my fire firesteel (tinder comes from the lining of my snugpak jacket)
Roll of tinfoil (fashion myself some pans, cups etc)
Roll of binbags (the gardening/rubble ones if given a choice - quick shelter, bivvy, cord etc material)
Dehydrated rice meal

Last edited:

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
OK, i have been thinking a lot about my five items, maybe over thinking as i have changed my mind a 1000 times already and i am sure this may change again, but this is my thought on what i will take with me and why

So my list is this,
1. Knife
2. Ferro
3. Billy
4. Rice
5. Flour

Items 1,2 and 3 I consider the hardest to reproduce in the wild, especially with the short time i would be in the woods for, and i would rather spend my time on other skills such as shelter building, foraging and attempting to make a candle for a bit of light when i get dark.

i had been thinking about swapping the knife for a sleeping bag as for 1 night i am sure i could get away without a knife (so that is the only change i may go with), but at the same time i am sure i could get away without a sleeping bag for 1 night.

Items 4 and 5 are my comfort items, i aim to forage other bits to make them both more interesting, again only for 1 night i am sure i could go without, but i don’t see the point, i want to enjoy my time when out and this way i will get the most out of doing it.

Just wondered what reasons others had come to their decisions on what they were going to take?

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'll have plenty of chances to play this game this summer. I think I'll take

knife
wool blanket
firesteel OR cord for bowdrill
zebra billy

Actually, if there is a fire-ban I'll have to either go for the silly "raw food" diets, or substitute a Trangia and fuel as my 4&5 (or is a Trangia too many items by itself?). If I wanted to push it I could cook whatever I find in a pit or improvised birch bark container (+ hot rocks). For an overnight in summer there is no need for fire, not really.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Are there any restrictions on what you can carry your water in? Also if i bought my knife with a cord wrapped handle does that count as two or one.

A stainless thermos flask could be a water carrier but that comes with a cup included where does that stand.

Not being picky but if you can increase your chances of being comfortable its way easier and just needs a little thought.

Harry The Camper

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.yahoo.com
I live in South East Asia(Malaysia) can I submit stuff?

I plan to stay in the jungle for 3 days 2 nights, phone won't work but I'll bring it anyway.

1.Parang
2.Water bottle (large pop bottle,does this count or not??!)
3.Rice
4.Hammock
5.Tarp
(4+5 are just in case it rains before I can make a natural shelter)
Will be doing it very near to the end of August. Does it have to be solo or can someone tag along?

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
I live in South East Asia(Malaysia) can I submit stuff?

I plan to stay in the jungle for 3 days 2 nights, phone won't work but I'll bring it anyway.

1.Parang
2.Water bottle (large pop bottle)
3.Rice
4.Hammock
5.Tarp

Will be doing it very near to the end of August. Does it have to be solo or can someone tag along?

sounds ace,....

will you cook the rice in a bamboo pot?....

Dec 22, 2009
dorking, surrey
this is my kit list
1.knife
2.flint and steel
3.maybe a catty
that's it,
shelter easy enough
fire-f&s (clothes for charcloth if needed)
can collect water in bark container or wood container, boil with hot rocks
food whatever i can collect/catch
cordage- nettles

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ok then.
water is free and can be carried in whater you so choose....

a kife is ok with parra cord handle IF thats how it is supposed to be, ie just a piece of steel, no scales etc, if its just the normal handle wrapped in corn thats a no no....

a flask is fine, the cup is part of said item and cant really be used without it (burnt lips are not fun :)) so thats 1 item.....

if you have another person with you thats fine, BUT you must not use the equipment of said person.....

a gas stove, or hobo type stove or container for a fire is fine, gas/fuel also is allowed, this will be a free item, matches or fire steel to light said stove is an item though....a tragi "stove part" can be used, however the added items such as pans will count as items......to sum up, only a burning unit and fuel is free...;)

hope this answers any questions, i will put pic's up of my outing as soon as they are uploaded.......theres lots.....;)

regards...

chris.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Right then!!!!!

we set off for the woods as soon as Sam had finished school...

we got to the woods around 18:00 and parked up, I went to see Ike and give him the cash for us both, then we where away down the track after a bit of a chat. I found a tin can that had been chucked in the trees, I just could not pass it up and grabbed it to use as a cooking pot..
The weather was ok, bit of drizzle and bit damp but that stopped as we walked up.
I chose a spot by the stream, I like the sound of it and its good for washing your hands etc.......this turned out to be a bad move as its now got migies around the area....:(
Anyway, I picked a spot under the trees where I was going to make my shelter, Sam was just across from me with the tarp, it was his first time out so I helped him set up before I started.
All done and ready for OP “Build Shelter”. I was really lucky that the area has been coppices recently as there was loads of Hazel branches lying around.
I found some bigger sticks and whipped them together with vine to make it long enough for the centre piece. I propped them up with other sticks pushed into the ground with a Y shaped end... Next was to lay the Hazel sticks down from the main beam, this was made quite thick, and then covered with Fern, this was the waterproof bit, the idea was the angle would be great enough for the water to just run off...

All set up shelter done, not massive, just big enough to keep me dry if it tiddled down... I also used some Hazel and fern for my bed, it was quite good and did the job for 1 night...

Next was to get a fire going, I did try to use the wood that I found from the site but ended up using what I had taken as it was to wet, or not seasoned enough.... Got the fire going and chilled on my bed for a bit.... I went and got some good wood for the night before it got to dark....

The night was quite cold, I woke at 01:10 when the fire died down, I stoked it up and got my head back down... 03:33 and I woke up again, stoked the fire again... I got some birch bark and made a container or 2, and then I went for a walk, collected some wild plats, nettle tips, bramble leaves, dandelion leaves, wood sorrel, goose grass and the 1 thing I didn’t take a picture of was the blooming great thistle I got..... I used my tin after cutting the lid of with the axe and rolled the edge over, I boiled all the bits up to make a stew type of tea stuff, the thistle was stripped of leaves (which I binned as they where to spiky) and charred the stalk over the fire..... TBH it all tasted minging apart from the thistle which was sweet and lovely, it was a cross between spinach and celery but sweeter....NOM NOM NOM.......

Got some more wood for the fire as Sam is a right gonk monster, I had to wake him up at 10:00....lol....kids eh.....;)
In the mean time I had a look around the site and found some Sycamore that was dry and had a practice with the NEW bow drill kit, this lot of wood worked fine, I also used pine needle for tinder which I have never done before, worked treat too, think i will be getting some for the tinder pouch....

The things to note from this trip:-

The shelter held up to a good down poor in the morning which is good to know, the axe is a really really good bit of kit, but difficult to do fine work, easy to use for little jobs you just need to alter your hand stance etc.....it must be kept sharp though which is why im glad i took the dimond sharpener...
I got my fire going with the bow drill so happy with that....
I can cope with hunger no probs, but staple foods is what i need to lurn for the next trip......

All in all very happy, had a good time and glad I had taken what i did, the next trip i will defo take some form of carb though......

Enjoy the pics people....

Regards.

Chris.

http://img696.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=5items001.jpg

http://img810.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=20110610094546.jpg

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
thanks Gordy, was a good thing to do, and i made the right decision by taking the axe, the really delicate things just take a bit longer......

only thing i would change would be carbs... I did try ang get some worms but the soil way quite dry in the woods, the trees must be sucking it dry...

next time its a full weekend, maybe 2 nights...

TBH though i was lucky the shelter only took 1 hour from start to finish.....;) the haze had allready been cut, it would have taken hours to find that much dead wood other wise......

Thanks again...

chris...

Sep 22, 2008
Tullinge, Sweden
I've been lurking this forum for years, but I just cant miss this!
Will try to get out as soon as possible.
My items will be
1. Small forest axe
2. Light my fire firesteel
3. Can of beans
4. Tobacco
5. Llama wool poncho

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE