5 Day Winter Snowshoe Bushcraft Camp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RangerJoe

Feb 21, 2015
Canada
I hope posting this is allowed, if not, my sincere apologies.

I live in Southern Ontario Canada, meaning that I have to drive around 8h north in order to be on Crown Land...

We started planning 2 months in advance, we would leave early Feb, drive the full day, and sleep in a motel, so we could start rested early in the morning.

The 3 of us woke up to a snowstorm, the perfect start to our 5 day winter adventure.

We pulled sleds behind us over the course of 6 lakes and 2 days...

Here is the video, available in 1080.

I hope you enjoy, please feel free to comment.
[video=youtube;hVfl5zMJ45Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVfl5zMJ45Y[/video]

Here are the pictures of that trip.

The truck packed up, and leaving the city behind.

Finally out on the lake.

Enough gear to keep me comfortable for 5 days in the Canadian winter.

On our first "Portage"

Some beauty Canadian Shield.

A shot of my buddy, Ken.

A shot of my buddy, Kyle.

A sign for the snowmobilers....and us

We had been walking through a blizzard for about 2 hours at this point, the plan was to rest here for lunch, and a half hour break, but after we stopped, we were so cold that we just quickly inhaled some granola, trail mix, and water, and got moving again...nothing keeps you warm like trudging through a blizzard, pulling a sled full of gear, hahaha!

Finally reached camp for the night, here is our first fire.

My buddy, Ken brought his tent and Ti stove, although he did not use it for sleeping, it was more of a community place to sit for a couple min. out of the cold.

My crazy mug...I don't normally look this creepy, I swear;)

Constantly melting snow on the fire and using stoves.

My shelter on the right, just 2 tarps strung up.

Kyle and his super expensive mountaineering tent...buy once, cry once he says.

The iconic windswept Eastern White Pine.

I love the campfire time at night, just tellin lies and havin a couple drinks.

We decided to go for a day hike...turned into a 5 hour snowshoe death march...it was a great hike actually.

Lots of snow!

And more snow!

Woodpecker dinner plates.

Back at camp, here is a better pic of my set up...at 10x10tarp in an Adirondack configuration, with a 5x7 in the front for a "door"

A couple sunrise shots.

Kyle's fancy rig.

And a couple night pics to cap it off, I hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Joe, I saw this just after it was uploaded. Fantastic looking trip and thanks for taking the time to film it all.
Watched a majority of your vids and enjoy them. Hope Scout is on the mend too.

Goes to to show you don't always need the most expensive kit to be safe and warm(sleeping bags combined)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks for posting this up, in the future it would be great if you could put the actual content (pictures) on here rather than point people elsewhere, we love to read, watch and look at pictures of peoples adventures so please do take the time to share on here.

Thanks Joe, I'll have a watch now...

RangerJoe

Feb 21, 2015
Canada
Thanks for posting this up, in the future it would be great if you could put the actual content (pictures) on here rather than point people elsewhere, we love to read, watch and look at pictures of peoples adventures so please do take the time to share on here.

Thanks Joe, I'll have a watch now...

understood, and my apologies, I just sent you a PM on the matter, but I completely understand.
Thanks again.
Joe.

RangerJoe

Feb 21, 2015
Canada
Joe, I saw this just after it was uploaded. Fantastic looking trip and thanks for taking the time to film it all.
Watched a majority of your vids and enjoy them. Hope Scout is on the mend too.

Goes to to show you don't always need the most expensive kit to be safe and warm(sleeping bags combined)

Thank you, I agree about the kit.

RangerJoe

Feb 21, 2015
Canada
What was the hardest thing about your week camping?

The temps were just about perfect, albeit a little cold on the first night (-30c)...but got more tolerable throughout the trip.
The company was good.
I wish I had brought more food, more meat, cheese and chocolate. More booze, for sure.
I brought my smaller snowshoes, not anticipating getting close to 3 extra feet of powder while we were out there, that was a HUGE mistake...
I messed up my knee on the 3rd day, big time. I had to haul all that gear out in all that fresh powder with small snowshoes and a messed up knee.

It was a very enjoyable trip, and those things that went wrong could have been a lot worse....probably one of my favorite winter camps.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Looks like a great trip out, and some really cracking photo's to go with it......Thanks for the post :)

RangerJoe

Feb 21, 2015
Canada
awesome trip, thanks for sharing. was the wish for more food due t getting hungry? or for comfort as a matter of interest

To be honest, both reasons..I would have liked some jerky to snack on at night, I brought pepperonies, but they were not as good, they did not hit the spot.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Hi joe and welcome from over the pond...;)

thats an awesome post,you are a very lucky group of gents to have that type or beautiful, undisturbed, wilderness so close to you. i have been to Canada with work and had the best time out of all the countries i have been to, my hope is to some day return and maybe even live in your great country...:):):):)

many thanks.

Chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE