4x4's to pay £1800pa road tax...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Martyn said:
It isnt fair, my defender puts out 282 g/km which would get me slapped with the £1800 tax bill, but I do less than 4000 miles a year - that's 1.1 tonnes of CO2 a year.

Put that next to a 1.6 eurobox that puts out 200g/km and an owner who does 20,000 miles a year and they are putting out 4 tonnes of CO2 a year. Their personal carbon footprint is 4x mine, yet they get low tax and I get taxed £1800 a year. How is that fair?

The only thing that is fair is to tax the fuel, because it's both CO2 efficiency and total mileage that are the problem. Taxing fuel is the only form of taxation that fairly addresses both issues.

i didnt say fair i said fairer ie every body is het up that this is a 4x4 tax only even now :rolleyes:

its not acording to the very first post

its a tax one a high emission vehicular so the Thread Title is missleading
it should be 'High Emissions Vehicules to pay £1800pa Road tax'

so what happens people stop buying landrovers new and second hand etc
or low MPG petrol cars for that matter
well i suspect 4x4s will appear that are lower emission etc and converion stuff for existing

If they do the emissions based on the yearly MOT test and not new manufactures figures you will see cars just under gradually creep up over the years and into the high tax :eek:

mainly i was trying to point out that most of the posts here have the wrong end of the stick if you have a 4x4 does not mean you WILL pay the tax (if it happens) unfortunatly if it happens a lot of people Will get bitten untill better performance 4x4s are avalible.

See still not reading the actual 1st post correctly
But by picking on the 4x4 market etc they are limiting the number of people they will be upsetting.

The taxation of 4x4 owners to help fight global pollution is just another money grabbing idea

ATB
Duncan
PS Ill Get My Coat :swordfigh :lmao:

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Greg said:
So to all you eco warriors out there who like jumping on the bandwagon, but mostly still eat the food produced by our farming communities and enjoy walking, camping or riding your bicycles in the countryside which is managed by decent people who use Landrovers and the like to get about and manage the land that you enjoy so much! Leave the 4x4 drivers alone!

Wow Greg! you were really ranting there and I find your comments offensive. You seem to completely overlook the middle ground and catagorise everyone either as an 'Eco warrior' or a '4x4 driver' which is a load of tosh. I don't think I'm unique here in aspiring to own another Land Rover but still being concerned about the state of the planet. I spend a similar amount of time walking, cycling and driving and enjoy all three, they are not mutually exclusive. Clearly there is a crisis looming with demand for oil outstripping supply and reserves diminishing, probably not for a few years but certainly for our children and theirs. No one is purer than the driven snow when it comes to being 'green' but the point is that everyone should at least do something on a personal level, even if it is just recycling instead of tossing everything in the bin. I find your comment on Landrover users managing the countryside plain ridiculous. maybe you are referring to the giants of the farming community who seem to be going more and more towards monoculture across the countryside whilst leaving it completely featureless and devoid of habitat for wildlife?

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
FGYT said:
See still not reading the actual 1st post correctly

Quote:
But by picking on the 4x4 market etc they are limiting the number of people they will be upsetting.

If you notice I added the "etc", implying the other groups. I understood the thread fine thankyou. However it is titled 4x4 tax, therefore I used them as an example in the reply. Obviously it will affect many other cars as well, but it think the majority of people that will be hit on this forum will be 4x4 owners.

Myself I would love to get another one but if they tax them this high it will not be an option for me, even though I will be only using on the weekends.

Something has to be done about congestion, pollution and the rising cost of oil but no one wants to pay for it. All I would like to see is a fair system linked to the actual contribution you make to these problem rather than the fact your vehicle may be less efficient as another.

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Martyn said:
. The problem is those 2.0 litre rep mobiles, that screech up the M6 at 95mph, doing 70,000 miles a year with one person in the driving seat. Those people put 10x the carbon into the environment than the mom trucks.

I. I'd like to see company reps driving nissan micra's.

Found this interesting, as I am one of those people who drives a rep mobile! The goverment introduce very heavy taxation on company cars based on emmision about 5 years ago where by you pay between 15 and 35% of the value of the car in tax ! This from my experiance (3 rather large medical companys) has had a significant knock on affect as lower emmision cars are currently the choice of most reps within these companys. I myself chose to drive an audi A3 with 123 g/kg emmision but I still pay nearly 3k a year in tax.

One of my previouse company's I need to drive alot of kit around, so I had a vieto (van). For those that do need more space for work a comercially classified vechile would be the right option as tax is minimal.

I am currently very lucky with my current company, we are actively encoureged to use public transport where possible, the others I worked for weren't so keen! Maybe tax breaks for company's who's employ's use public transport?

I too would love a big 4x4, the tax would grate me! may be we should be taxed on our actual milage! against our engine size and do away with any other form of vechile taxation

atross said:
Found this interesting, as I am one of those people who drives a rep mobile! The goverment introduce very heavy taxation on company cars based on emmision about 5 years ago where by you pay between 15 and 35% of the value of the car in tax ! This from my experiance (3 rather large medical companys) has had a significant knock on affect as lower emmision cars are currently the choice of most reps within these companys. I myself chose to drive an audi A3 with 123 g/kg emmision but I still pay nearly 3k a year in tax.

One of my previouse company's I need to drive alot of kit around, so I had a vieto (van). For those that do need more space for work a comercially classified vechile would be the right option as tax is minimal.

I am currently very lucky with my current company, we are actively encoureged to use public transport where possible, the others I worked for weren't so keen! Maybe tax breaks for company's who's employ's use public transport?

I too would love a big 4x4, the tax would grate me! may be we should be taxed on our actual milage! against our engine size and do away with any other form of vechile taxation

its happening a lot a freind of mine has been told to hand in his 4x4 company car a Nissan and choose a smaller more eco freindly car as its not the image the company wants for its reps
yes you do pay tax on the car but you dont have to buy one why not car pool then No Tax :D

you would all be able to have a normal taxed 4x4 under the proposed tax it just has to have low emissions :rolleyes: which should be possible with todays technology just theres been little incentive to make one untill now :eek:

Duncan

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
FGYT said:
its happening a lot a freind of mine has been told to hand in his 4x4 company car a Nissan and choose a smaller more eco freindly car as its not the image the company wants for its reps
yes you do pay tax on the car but you dont have to buy one why not car pool then No Tax :D

you would all be able to have a normal taxed 4x4 under the proposed tax it just has to have low emissions :rolleyes: which should be possible with todays technology just theres been little incentive to make one untill now :eek:

Duncan

We do car pool for those that can, we have a sales force of about 300, so in some areas it can be difficult,

Agree with the emissions technology, since the company car taxation there has been a large decline in emissions of rep mobiles A3 1.9 tdi 123g/kg and I think the BMW 320 tdi is about 170. If this could be done with 4x4 then it would make a difference

Alot of companys are down sizing their cars with alot of reps in 1.4-1.6 tdi Golf varients. The BMW AUdi Merc are normally for senior positions

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
twisted firestarter said:
Wow Greg! you were really ranting there and I find your comments offensive. You seem to completely overlook the middle ground and catagorise everyone either as an 'Eco warrior' or a '4x4 driver' which is a load of tosh. I don't think I'm unique here in aspiring to own another Land Rover but still being concerned about the state of the planet. I spend a similar amount of time walking, cycling and driving and enjoy all three, they are not mutually exclusive. Clearly there is a crisis looming with demand for oil outstripping supply and reserves diminishing, probably not for a few years but certainly for our children and theirs. No one is purer than the driven snow when it comes to being 'green' but the point is that everyone should at least do something on a personal level, even if it is just recycling instead of tossing everything in the bin. I find your comment on Landrover users managing the countryside plain ridiculous. maybe you are referring to the giants of the farming community who seem to be going more and more towards monoculture across the countryside whilst leaving it completely featureless and devoid of habitat for wildlife?

Ooooo!:lmao:
Some people bite so easily!!

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Oh except those rich Suburbanites, as I like to call them who only buy 4x4s as a fashion statement to impress their friends on the school run / shopping run. You can hassle them as much as you want and the government can take as much money as they like off them!!!
That's a bit strong Greg - some of those speed humps at Tesco's can be really tricky

Have you seen the state of London's roads??? My MX5 gets killed everytime I have to drive in once a fortnight. Honestly, I've seen some bits that if they were green lanes they would have been TROd. The Ridgeway is better condition than some London Streets.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
atross said:

First green story about cars I read was an Autotrader photographer, that dumped his company car because of this tax. He bought one and LPG'ed it, and made money on his travel because the company had to pay him mileage. This was back in the day when you had to have your own fuel tank at home.

atross said:

The whole engine size thing has never made sense to me because the biggest engines are diesel, but a smaller petrol engine is going to polute more.

What they should do is have a tax disc(sort of like the US), across the board, so we all pay the same nonimal fee as an MOT/insurance check. Also any vehicle on the roads has to have this disc so if you come from abroad, you still need to buy one. Then put the rest on fuel, which means high milage pay more, and you can give a tax bump to the bio-fuels to make them even more attractive.

Then we re-do the Railways to the Japanese standard i.e as fast as posible, with the motorways following the same lines, with all new roads and all roadsworks being done with Dutch style cycle/footpaths.

There was a Government white paper knocking around which said they were going to have to remove all fosil fuel vehicles from London by 2012, because of the Building damage. Anyone know what happened to this?

Watch vans because the tax man has done or is doing something so you have to prove they are only used for work or they become company cars.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
John Dixon said:
so can any one help me what will i have to pay for tax on my M reg Discovery this year???
and where is this money going to???
£96 for six months paid last week :(
It is classed the same as a van(sort of) apparently and should be going up by £5 per year for the next 3 years, this is going by info from Martyn and other stuff I have read up. So it should be around the £200 mark a year, not the £400 that soem will get stung for!

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
Greenpeace were talking about all those vehicles which are not that economical in terms of MPG. It was the original poster that linked this specifically to 4x4s. I don't see anything wrong with the principle that the polluter pays. But I suspect there's far more pollution created as a result of the homes we live in and the lifestyles (hate that word) that we lead. Don't see the govt having the guts to really tackle those though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE