4x4

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
Speaking of 4x4s, my old Peugeot is overdue for replacement - it's holding on well, but time's running out! What do you think of the new -shape Jeep cherokee as an offroader? I ask because there is a dealer at the bottom of my road, and my wife likes the look of them! I don't like Defenders , and I've heard too many horror stories about Discos over the years.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I have driven the new shape Cherokee on an off road course and I have to say it was superb, I was amazed at some of the climbs it did on wet mud, on road tyres too. What it is like on the road I have no idea. I would like to know what is wrong with Defenders. I have had one for 3 years and it has been great. I love them..................Jon

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
I'm on my second disco now and would not be without one, thier basically a posh defender, mine has been economical to run (35mpg) the engine will run on anything from chip oil to parafine, spares are cheap and with a little tlc it will run forever and of course apart from the range rover its the best 4x4 going.
:D :D

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
I've never found the Defender to be comfortable, and friends who've had Discos have all found that the quality control was...variable. A good one was very good, but too many suffered leaks and reliability problems, to the point where one of them got through 3 new vehicles - each replaced under warranty, until he got his money back and bought a Toyota pickup with a load bed cover. :rolleyes:

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
I have a cherokee sport (petrol) and it has never been off road. We bought it because where my wife works it is prone to deep snow. She loves the jeep, easy to park, nice high driving position and comfortable to drive in with the usual Air con etc.. We even drove it from Glasgow to London on a single tank of petrol for a weekend at Legoland so the MPG on the motorway is not bad either. All in all we have been quite pleased with it. Our only concern was the recent increase in the servicing costs.

jeeps are awesome offroad vehicles, good clearance, gear ratios are nicely placed and yeah you can get almost anywhere with them.

only bad thing is the terrible reputation they have for breaking down a lot, parts are not very cheap either and i'd assume more expensive in the UK. I had a cherokee for a while and i hated it, one problem after the other.

i'd suggest a pick-up like a Tacoma.

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
We road-tested one for for a week for the BCA Magazine here. After a day or two, it got pretty comfortable on-road, just don't try to take any bends at any kind of speed. Yes, they have good clearance, but at the expense of a very high centre of gravity, and one British mag. managed to roll one on an on-road test :eek: .
In the desert, I called the Daimler-Chrysler MD a couple of times because of all the warning lights I was getting on the dash. Was told not to worry, as it would only be dust on some of the electronic sensors :confused: . My opinion is that this could be very worrying for anyone taking them off-road.
Sorry, but I'll stick with my Series3 and Defender110 :lmao: :lmao:

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
Thanks lads, I'll also try a Landcruiser. Ruckus, thanks for the reliability shout - unfortunately a pickup isn't too practical for me, as the 4x4 will also be my main car - the other one is a bike! Cairodel, also thanks - bear in mind though that various British magazines and televison programmes have managed to roll just about every mass - market 4x4 including Range Rovers, and I think Discos as well. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Adrian said:
Thanks lads, I'll also try a Landcruiser. Ruckus, thanks for the reliability shout - unfortunately a pickup isn't too practical for me, as the 4x4 will also be my main car - the other one is a bike! Cairodel, also thanks - bear in mind though that various British magazines and televison programmes have managed to roll just about every mass - market 4x4 including Range Rovers, and I think Discos as well. :)
Adrian,

If you ever get down Hampshire way, you are welcome to try mine on / off road. You try in against the Defender if you want

Red

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
Hi Adrian

I have no experience of the Jeep Cherokee or the new Landcruiser. However, both have independent front suspension which will limit both vehicles in rutted ground (I run an L200 pickup and experience this problem). The lower spec Landcruiser does have a rear locking diff which will help, I personally don't love traction control .(You can't beat the old fashioned ways). If you are looking for a vehicle for heavily rutted ground then it may be worth looking at the Nissan Patrol which still had a live front axle as per the Defender and Series I & II Discos .

However, to be honest if you exclude heavy ruts its all down to tyres and how you drive. As a very active member of GLASS (Green Lane Association) I have seen people cross the muddiest fields in the oddest vehicles (most unusual is a 2CV).

Hope that helps.

Let us know what you decide.

Mike

Best of luck

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I heard one of the design specs for the 2cv was it had to drive accross a ploughed field with a tray of eggs on the passenger seat without breaking any !

Don't know how true that is though. :confused:

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
Thanks Mike, I've looked at the Patrol, but the long version is way too big for me, and Nissan have stopped importing the short version - they never imported many to start with, so I'm looking at something competent but reasonably compact. I agree that the tyres and the ability of the driver are generally more important and I've also seen 2CVs go places that Land Rover drivers wouldn't chance! I've never heard of a 4wd conversion for one though! :)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Adrian said:
Thanks Mike, I've looked at the Patrol, but the long version is way too big for me, and Nissan have stopped importing the short version - they never imported many to start with, so I'm looking at something competent but reasonably compact. I agree that the tyres and the ability of the driver are generally more important and I've also seen 2CVs go places that Land Rover drivers wouldn't chance! I've never heard of a 4wd conversion for one though! :)

If a 2cv could get there, then my Landy would get there too, even if I had to push it.............Jon

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Adrian said:
I've also seen 2CVs go places that Land Rover drivers wouldn't chance! I've never heard of a 4wd conversion for one though! :)
:drive: Back in the day, Citroen built a version of the 2CV with an extra engine and gerabox in the boot to give it four wheel drive. Distinguishing features of the 2CV Sahara 4wd are a ribbed bonnet with externally mounted spare and a vented bootlid.

The British military used to airlift lightweight 2CV pick ups before they had helicopters large enough to lift an underslung Land Rover.

A 2CV enthusiast told me that Michelin funded the design of the 2CV as they believed they'd sell more tyres if Citroen sold thousands of utilitarian 2CVs to peasants rather than hundreds of decadent Traction Avants to the wealthy few.

The 2CV's an absolute design classic. Unfortunately, I'm barred from owning one because I don't own a floppy straw hat, don't have a beard, am not a vegetarian, and don't wear socks with my sandals. :rolleyes:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
elma said:
I'm on my second disco now and would not be without one, thier basically a posh defender, mine has been economical to run (35mpg) the engine will run on anything from chip oil to parafine, spares are cheap and with a little tlc it will run forever and of course apart from the range rover its the best 4x4 going.
:D :D

Sorry, but to view what a real "posh Defender" looks like take a look in the "gallery" under "Kit"!

Cheers

K

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Buckshot said:
I heard one of the design specs for the 2cv was it had to drive accross a ploughed field with a tray of eggs on the passenger seat without breaking any !

Don't know how true that is though. :confused:

Yea, I believe the design brief was…

“carry a family of four in comfort and drive across a ploughed field with a tray of eggs on the passenger seat and a pig in the back”

As to the comment about “it’s not what you drive it’s how you drive it”, when I worked for the MoD, I watched an off road driving instructor, at Chertsey, shouting at a squady who said it was impossible to get the light weight Landy up a gravel hill, prove his point by taking our Volvo estate hire car up it!

Amazing to see

AJB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE