4x4 camper

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wandering Fred

Oct 1, 2018
Dorset
Little bit jealous.......Had a lot of fun with my L300 :biggrin:

Have been going down the campervan rabbit hole again recently & keep coming back to the Delica.

I never got around to doing a proper conversion on my L300, other than removing one of the middle captain seats & building some removable boxes that fitted between the rear bench & middle seats to make a decent size double bed if required. When travelling solo, I reversed the middle captains seat & laid it flatish, then laid in that with my feet on the bench seat & a storage box in the gap, sounds a bit crappy but masses of storage & really comfy.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Little bit jealous.......Had a lot of fun with my L300 :biggrin:

Have been going down the campervan rabbit hole again recently & keep coming back to the Delica.

I never got around to doing a proper conversion on my L300, other than removing one of the middle captain seats & building some removable boxes that fitted between the rear bench & middle seats to make a decent size double bed if required. When travelling solo, I reversed the middle captains seat & laid it flatish, then laid in that with my feet on the bench seat & a storage box in the gap, sounds a bit crappy but masses of storage & really comfy.

Yep - I basically want one for doing some solo excursions out and being able to not have to wander back is massive.

I'll start with modest ambitions ref the camper conversion but I have been perving over some of the YT conversions out there.... baby steps...

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep - I basically want one for doing some solo excursions out and being able to not have to wander back is massive.

I'll start with modest ambitions ref the camper conversion but I have been perving over some of the YT conversions out there.... baby steps...

I'll watch your progress with interest :)

Wandering Fred

Oct 1, 2018
Dorset
The way I had it set up (or not) served me well, loads of storage in the boxes & behind the bench seat, comfy bed & chair, and space to sort my stuff & cook inside if necessary.

The later models (L400) have a split bench seat that folds up to the side & some have a moveable bench seat in the middle row which I think you can move to the side so a combination of the two should leave one side of the floor as open space. Well worth having a fiddle about with all the options. My L300 had roof windows with blinds which meant you could lay back & sky watch.
I will have to work out how to add photos to my posts one day & then I could really bore you with van pictures.
As I said in your other thread - check the 4WD works properly.

Wandering Fred

Oct 1, 2018
Dorset
Bongo has the advantage of the pop up roof so would make an easier conventional conversion.

Delica is based on Pajero - so a proper 4x4. I went for the L300 Delica as it was more agricultural, robust, very low-tech & relatively easy to fix (Was great to travel with a tool box & spares again!)

Seriously considering getting another but personal choice & I was/am not looking for a campervan as such, just a vehicle that I can sleep in and drive anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: billycoen

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It's a toss up between one of these or a Mazda Bongo..
Mate of mine is full on off road mad and has a Delica to take him and his lad out. I had a Toyota Townace for a few years that with those twisty diff locks on the hubs and the auto box. It put up a fair competition. Get one, put some Grabber ATs on it, take the rear seats out, bung a mattress in :)

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
If I won the lottery...
AvbpYBz.jpeg

YDlCaWa.jpeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE