4x4 camper

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

dakrido

hi all,
i got a 4x4 swiss army camper truck, perhaps not very bushcrafty, but very cool though.
i have been living in it for a while now, and try to obtain a 100% autonomy, and wonder if there are any other users on the forum living life the same way...?
david

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I'd love to be able to do that, was going to buy a VW campervan but heard they are unreliable. Most of the one's you see are usually parked in a driveway so that's probably right enough.

Would love to see some photos too.

Cheers

Liam

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
a friend of mine has an army ambulance which he uses as a camper. he doesn't live in it but it gets loads of regular use. it is basicly a 4x4 iveco daily underneath.

pete

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I'd love to be able to do that, was going to buy a VW campervan but heard they are unreliable. Most of the one's you see are usually parked in a driveway so that's probably right enough.

Cheers

Liam

its only cos they are old and a basic design, people cant be arsed with doing the points in the distributor or fettling the carburettor every few thousand miles.

I have owned loads of veedubs, of the aircooled and they are pretty good but they are old and do need regular attention.

If i was going to get one to use as a work horse i would get a modern petrol injected one.

they arent that bad though, but bear in mind that even the newest ones are 35+ years old now and most are older than that. aircooled that is.

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff

Cheers

Liam
Watch yer grumblins there fella......our '71 type 2 has never let us down the 14 years we've had him.
Eddie.jpg

Tho four wheel drive would be a godsend in some o' the places we've been..lol

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex

the t25's are fairly reliable, im after one myself but the single cab pickup model for work. it has a big tool locker underneeth the pickup bed:) great design i think.

pete

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Fair point Mr Ed.

I used to have a VW Transporter/T5 and had no problems with it.

Would like a VW bay just to paint like the Scooby Doo one and bimble the UK.

Would love a Unimog just..., well just because!! :)

Cheers

Liam

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
na get a pinzgauer, similar to the small unimogs but have unbeatable reliability and off road ability my mate has one aswell as the ambulance (how lucky is he!:D)

pete

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Watch yer grumblins there fella......our '71 type 2 has never let us down the 14 years we've had him.
Eddie.jpg

Tho four wheel drive would be a godsend in some o' the places we've been..lol

Hahahahaa :)

I've gone and opened the flood gates now haven't I? :pokenest:

Sorry Cap'n, no offence meant shipmate.

She's a beauty. I keep looking at danbury website, the VW owners site etc., - sigh - I'm just jealous.

Liam

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
we had a t25 syncro 4x4 ,, a brilliant van started first time awe the time ....
u have a beautiful van there cap n ...

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
lol...none taken Liam.....t'has been a great 'land ship'.....dead reliable...never broken down....fantastic t' camp out in......and the only steam ye'll see comin' out o' it on the M25 traffic jams....is from the kettle...:D

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Id love one.

Im trying to sort out my affairs to move out.

But I have no where to move to....yet

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
lol...none taken Liam.....t'has been a great 'land ship'.....dead reliable...never broken down....fantastic t' camp out in......and the only steam ye'll see comin' out o' it on the M25 traffic jams....is from the kettle...:D

You're not helping you know!!! :(:(

AAAAAARRRGGHH!!!!!!

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
You're not helping you know!!! :(:(

AAAAAARRRGGHH!!!!!!
AHAHAHAH.......prob is......when I bought it......it was 750 quid......the same van.....14 years later is now worth 7k!!.....plus, finding one that don't need welding SOMEWHERE underneath it's great barnicled hull is liken findin' mermaids in yer bath tub..lol

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Just about the only downside to a Unimog is the fuel costs, same with the Stalwart a mate had, though you could always be sure of a good view...

Stal02int.jpg

^ Not my mate's Stolly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE