Trip Report 40th

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hey all.

This is a trip report I have been meaning to post for a while but there were a lot of pics and the absence of a reliable image hosting service set me back. Then it was forgotten about.

This was a trip to mark my 40th. Good friends, great country and "challenging" weather..

The idea was to lug a small trolley between us so that we could have a few more essentials, ye know the life or death stuff like a skillet, espresso maker, enough fishing kit to outfit 4 blokes. The trolley was pants especially given the hard rocky 4 mile trip... But hey the scenery made up for it!

Destination was whistling sands and a stunning place it is.

Love this part of the trip north through the glens.

MFkAvkm.jpg

Then the ferry over. Which apparently crashed the next day causing a lovely couple of hours to be added to our return trip. Could have been worse could have been on it! Not to mention the grief it caused the poor locals with supply deliveries.

RqEqLOd.jpg

The entrance to our walk to the coast. Maybe a little of-putting... :)

W66S6Oy.jpg

Was a hell of a slog with stupidly over packed trolley and kit but worth it.

cJ0u2o2.jpg

We chose a site that had been used before. The solid was sandy so we could have a small fire on an existing site. We also took advantage of an old shelter someone has constructed. It was a welcome place to dump the packs in the heavy rain whilst we sorted our lives out and got setup

eVFjqQ5.jpg

N9OpyMq.jpg

My Usual setup. DD 3x3, TW hammock Snugpack UB, Snugpack SF bag. SF45 for lugging it.
The hammock and Mozzy net are from the original group buy on here, crikey how long ago was that.

UafrOEd.jpg

My better half mentioned my boy had put a letter in my pack.

snsKRr8.jpg

PTO

Last edited:
Reactions: Arya

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Kit setup. midge kit donned and off for a bimble.

VfdxqWE.jpg

53eN4C4.jpg

q6BokKu.jpg

6gbQjCL.jpg

sdmPrwE.jpg

Asa2SuQ.jpg

B56Noqe.jpg

The next day we had a scattering of minutes where the rain would allow us to squeeze in some fishing. .
There was lots of activity with fish jumping and bites but alas no hook.

o65SdI5.jpg

You know whats they say, worm on one end.. Scenery more than made up for it.

VfC2t70.jpg

Blanked all of us! We were spinning, dead bating, limpets, fly lure, fly dry.

So the next day we tried a longline on the tide. Nothing!!! 12 bated hooks. We saw seals way out doing well so there were fish out there.

VpU5kaG.jpg

Then the next day the surface run out of fresh came in from the heavy rain and hills. It really did come down in no time at all, from where we once saw a babbling trib it was now a torrent.

https://imgur.com/YRWZlj1

Which then promptly washed away the beach.

https://imgur.com/SPjRAag

Where once we could bimble over to the shoreline we now had to leap a new river.

0T17Bkk.jpg

cdHRafr.jpg

This torrent of fresh tannin rich water put the croppers on any more fishing and in true biblical fashion turned the sea`s red!

MzbjjiM.jpg

9f3vHh7.jpg

With the fishing not so hot we resorted to foraging and had a few seaweeds to try.

F5ojlab.jpg

Hope this guy was doing better than we were. Leave it to the masters.

YLLmpHD.jpg

X1NhVy1.jpg

Site cleared of any trace of us lot and packed ready to go. Yeah the sun come out to see us off.....pft

zUYokWn.jpg

Stunning part of the world and on I will visit again soon. Will hope for less rain next time :)

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Welcome, its a lovely place. If a kindly mod could remove the pt1from the title that would be cool thanks.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Welcome, its a lovely place. If a kindly mod could remove the pt1from the title that would be cool thanks.

Excellent jaunt :D Thank you for sharing too :cool:
I've edited the title.

Here's to the next forty, I hope they're very good years indeed.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE