3 stoves tested in optimum conditions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I tested 3 stoves I own on how long it took to get a rolling boil, ease of lighting, fuel burn, price and weight. I tested them all indoors in optimum conditions.

1. Vargo titanium hexagonal wood stove I placed in my house fireplace for draft and lit with birch bark as tinder with my magnesium rod first time, which was awkward but I got lucky. I had to feed it two sets of tinder dry kindling and it took 8 mins 15 seconds to get 300ml of water to a rolling boil.

• Combined weight of tinder and stove was: 281 grams
  • Fuel lasted: 9 mins 30 seconds.
  • Cost: £50
  • Speed to set up and light: 3 minutes + time for tending.

2. Swedish military gel cooker, started first time with the magnesium rod and took 6 mins 15 seconds to get 300 ml of water to a rolling boil.
  • Weight: 198 grams.
  • Fuel lasted: 71 minutes
  • Cost: £4.99
  • Speed to set up and light: Aprox 10 seconds.
Note: After 26 minutes I added another pot of 300ml to test efficiency after long term use, rolling boil time was: 7 mins 15 seconds (and it is still burning)
Note: After 50 minutes I added another pot of 300ml to test efficiency after long term use, rolling boil time was: 8 mins 30 seconds (and it is still burning)
Note: After 63 minutes
I added another pot of 300ml to test efficiency after long term use, rolling boil time was: 8 mins 30 seconds to a simmer and stopped test.

3. Highlander solid fuel cooker with 4 hexamine tablets. 1 hexamine tablet used - Would not start from magnesium rod, even after fluffing up. Ended up using my trusty bic lighter and even that was a struggle... However it took 4 mins 30 seconds to get to a rolling boil. 1 block stayed lit for 7 mins and it was supplied with 4 which can be carried within the unit.

• Combined weight of stove and 4 hexamine tablets: 263 grams
  • Fuel lasted: 7 x 4 = 28 minutes. (all be it space inbetween to light and place new tablet)
  • Unit cost: £6.99
  • Speed to set up and light: With a bic aprox 20 seconds + 15 seconds for each change of tablet = 1 minute 5 seconds.

Verdict:

The Swedish gel cooker is cheap, light and compact, has reasonable boil time and excellent fuel burn, it even comes with a pot stand which wraps around the unit. 10 cups of tea/soup.

The Highlander has terrific boil time, mediocre fuel burn, reasonable weight and not too expensive. 4 cups of tea/soup, tablets not really reusable.

The Vargo although titanium needs dry sticks and these add weight. Is expensive and takes a lot of tending, had mediocre boil times and short fuel burn and from experience is a nightmare in the wild. 1 cup of tea/soup all be it reusable if you have the patience of a saint.

Note: I realise the vargo is a bit of a wildcard in this test, however it was used in optimum conditions and this was to test 3 that I own. I do have a trianga but I'm not lighting that stinky thing in my house at 1am ;-) I'll update with trianga test at some point. I also need to think of how much meths fuel to add to the equation.

This is by no means a fully scientific test! But it has certainly answered a question or two of my own. What stove to carry in my pack? Swedish gel every time.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Happy camper. Cheers Netfrog Great review Bro. Just got my first Swedish ;-) x1 gel cooker stove plus X1 ltr bottle Gel £7.50 together F####g Ace... On your calculations 14 hours burn time... Burn test, I don't want to ditch the Tranga just yet and as the gel seems to work fine in the tranga it is worth playing between the two until best results are in. Once again very pro review.............

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi NetFrog.
Swiss Army M1 Gel cooker.
I was just watching some of the Swiss Army Gel cooker stuff on youtube. So I hope to do the Great Glen Way soon 79 Mile. Cooker plus 500mm of spare gel. Anyway I was just wondering how the equivalent amount of methylated spirit compare to the gel regarding burn time.
Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE