3 foot tent or taller - or illegal!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yo!

Bare with me folks, I've had s tipple and heard a 'law' I'm unfamiliar with and quite uncertain of.

A tent must be atleast 3 foot tall or it is illegal to camp in.

Sounds like bs. I've not done my research but I'm curious to the authenticity of this claim.

Please add,

Cheers!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Few beers, crappy knots...could reduce it to a foot high quite easily. I tried pitching up once and woke up with the thing wrapped round me all covered in frost. Not my finest moment, but the wine is cheap in France and I was on my first campsite ;)

I think it's unlikely to be a legal thing, well I'd like to hope not.

it's registering on the gauge look :)

Last edited by a moderator:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
when the wind is high the tarp goes lower, foot high if need be, can't see how such a law if it existed could be enforced

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
What the ....... My BS detector just went of the chart and busted

Minimum 3 ft or its illegal....what twoddle if that's true I've been breaking the law for the last 15 yrs

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
So everyone who is forced to spend a night in an emergency bivvi due to adverse conditions is breaking the law? Absolute tosh. I know the law can be an bottom but by and large it *tries* to follow common sense.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
What the ....... My BS detector just went of the chart and busted

Minimum 3 ft or its illegal....what twoddle if that's true I've been breaking the law for the last 15 yrs

Now you've gone and done it!.......you'll snatched off the street, bundled into a black van and sent to the gulag within 24hrs :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Lol so its sullbhit then?

I thought as muchh,but present company for the night was rather sure of it.

Nice to know its bum excretion, but eek if it was true!

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
Aye, full on bs
My Wild Country Voyager is sub 3' high and is typical of a backpacking tent height and I doubt they'd all be ignorant of the law.
In other news, they've taken gullible out of the dictionary :)

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Camping in a snow cave is a big no-no then?!

It's all fine and legal, you need to read the T&Cs, then sign...:D crazy thread, funny though :)

Owls outside calling hard, and 633 Squadron of Craneflies swept in as I went out for a roll-up. 7 of them. I've ousted 3, the dog has left one mutilated, and two are just being useless against the walls. Anyone else got lots of Daddy Longlegs this year? Anyone know what they actually do, or benefit?

If there's info I'll start a thread. They seem a bit...rubbish at most things. I wondered if they had any saving attributes?

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
Could this 3ft rule relate to the construction of tents for sale? Bivys and tarps are not tents so don't come under the same rule. Just a guess :)

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
It sounds like the sort of pub conversation turned "fact" law that people often like to get het up about and then the Daily Mail will write an outraged article about, when it was never true in the first place! I came across an article online recently where a lot of people were claiming entirely wrongly that it was illegal to give someone a negative job reference and they were all completely convinced what they were saying was true because "it's the law!" ..... no, it's not and it never has been.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE