2nd Knife handle, Another Budd blade!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Here is my second ever knife handle. A little different from the first, if you didn't see it it was a simple Hawthorn handle. This is handled with a Nickel Silver bolster (made form scratch), Buffalo horn spacer and Apple wood from our garden. Blade is a Laminated (no idea what steel, Maybe Dave could help!!) Dave Budd blade with full grind. Razor sharp and very nice to use. Handle is pretty chunky but feels good in the hand.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Thats some nice work I like it. very good second knife.
Any chance of some more photos. Are you looking pointers not that much is wrong at all.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I like that. Looks like it would suit my hand

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice shape to that, looks comfortable to use. Great work for your second stick tang indeed!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Nice looking knife there :) You don't see much applewood used on knives, shame really. I made lots some years back from a few branches salvaged from my dad's fireplace, sadly its all long gone and I've not got around to getting any more. ]

The blade btw is mild steel outers with EN42J at the core, hardened to about 60RC from memory

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Cheers for the kind words. I'm really pleased with it.

Cheers Dave for the blade spec! The Apple handle took an interesting shade after buffing on my very old polishing wheel, gives it an aged patina after the oiling I think. I designed the handle to be a user to fit my hand but think I will reduce width near blade as from above the shape is pretty straight.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
That's a cracking handing job on a lovely looking blade, all the more so for only a second attempt, you should be well chuffed, I would have been. On the blade, whats the 45 deg line 2/3's up the blade?

Cheers.Its just the way the light went! Was half in the shade outside when photoed it so I guess thats the sun shining on it!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE