24HR Ration Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The domain name is 'silvermans.co.uk' and at the top of the home page it says "Welcome to military.co.uk".

They don't give the impression that they even know who they are, never mind what they're selling.

Interestingly enough the same owner owns both domains. I'd guess probably a few more as well, you see a lot of scatter-gun selling on the Internet.

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
I used to use Silvermans, very expensive though. No doubt it has quality, so long as you have the available folding stuff. As for the ration packs, it depends what menu you get, but generally you get:-

Breakfast; Instant oat cereal and Bacon and beans.

Snack; Oatmeal block, fruit biscuits, brown biscuits, cheese spread, milk chocolate, Kendal mint cake, boiled sweets.

Main meal; Soup, beef stew and dumplings, chocolate pudding in chocolate sauce.

Drinks, Chocolate drink, beverage whitener, sugar, tea, coffee, beef stock drink, orange or lemon drink

also a pack containing: Chewing gum, weather proof matches, paper tissues, water purification tablets and menu sheet/cooking instructions.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
If it's a UK military ration pack then there is more food in it than you need for 24 hrs. It will also include things like waterproof matches, sweets. chewing gums. tissues.
It does seem slightly expensive, but not by much ! Try ebay for the same thing.

GunnySonics

Apr 24, 2013
Moray
i think there are much cheaper and nicer high calorie content meals out there than rat packs, after 22 years in the military i am sick of them and usually opt for flapjacks, peanut butter, homeade rabbit soup (cooked in goose fat) in a flask etc than eat these boil in the bag meals. Dont get me wrong they do the job but i would only use them personally for emergencys ie stuck at the top of Ben Nevis during an eclipse in just my flips flops and a mankini and no seagulls to eat :)

resnikov

i think there are much cheaper and nicer high calorie content meals out there than rat packs, after 22 years in the military i am sick of them and usually opt for flapjacks, peanut butter, homeade rabbit soup (cooked in goose fat) in a flask etc than eat these boil in the bag meals. Dont get me wrong they do the job but i would only use them personally for emergencys ie stuck at the top of Ben Nevis during an eclipse in just my flips flops and a mankini and no seagulls to eat :)

I on the other hand would live on them if I could. I love biscuits brown and mushroom spread :)

It's probably because I've never had to eat them for days on end.

GunnySonics

Apr 24, 2013
Moray
I on the other hand would live on them if I could. I love biscuits brown and mushroom spread :)

It's probably because I've never had to eat them for days on end.

i once used the mushroom spread to cover up nail holes in a married quarter and painted over them, did a good job :)

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I used to use Silvermans, very expensive though. No doubt it has quality, so long as you have the available folding stuff. As for the ration packs, it depends what menu you get, but generally you get:-

Breakfast; Instant oat cereal and Bacon and beans.

Snack; Oatmeal block, fruit biscuits, brown biscuits, cheese spread, milk chocolate, Kendal mint cake, boiled sweets.

Main meal; Soup, beef stew and dumplings, chocolate pudding in chocolate sauce.

Drinks, Chocolate drink, beverage whitener, sugar, tea, coffee, beef stock drink, orange or lemon drink

also a pack containing: Chewing gum, weather proof matches, paper tissues, water purification tablets and menu sheet/cooking instructions.

I think compo has changed a little bit in the last few years, I haven't seen a choccy bar in one man rat packs for a while now. And they add packs of nut and high energy drinks in the packs now. I have a couple of boxes stored away from camp last year. I'll open them tomorrow and take some pictures to put on here.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think compo has changed a little bit in the last few years, I haven't seen a choccy bar in one man rat packs for a while now. And they add packs of nut and high energy drinks in the packs now. I have a couple of boxes stored away from camp last year. I'll open them tomorrow and take some pictures to put on here.

I expect they follow the same protocol as the US does with MREs. That being to change the menus on a regular basis (every 3 or 4 years) to alleviate dietary monotony. TBH that's the biggest complaint about military rations (monotony) rather than poor quality.

As for the ad linked, I'd say they have a random selection of whatever menus were available. You may or may not be able to request a particular preference (sorta like the way they'te issued)

Last edited:

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Compo has really changed, not only is there new and many different meals now but they even mix them all up in the same 10 man box and I see new ones every time we are issued compo on exercise. Gone are the days when you all had the same grub and you had to just like or lump it. Now it's a rush to get in the 10 man box to grab the best one. As a section leader I get first dibs then it is every person for them self :)

Gone are the biscuits brown and the choccy bars. In are fruity chewy bars, nuts, jams, peanut butter and even smoothies. The coffees nicer but there is less milk and sugar as the sachets are smaller. But you get a plastic spoon and hand wipes in each pack and the plastic bag holding these and the coffee, milk, matches, water purifier tabs, gum and sugar is at least A4 size and resealable so you can use it for paper work or maps or whatever takes your fancy.
Also the soup is no longer powder and like the rest of the compo there is a larger range to choose from.

Here's some pics to give you an idea what I'm talking about

This last pic is some odds and ends left over from previous packs..

P.S But I'd just like to say I have noticed resnikov that says he likes mushroom spread..I'm sorry but that is a sin against man kind as that stuff is vile !!!

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Just check you will get different menus.
I ordered half a dozen (not from silvermans I hasten t add) and got promisd different meals.
A week self catered course with 6 curried lamb ratnpacks with spicy tuna for lunch was heart breaking.

Lol that would kill me. I like the curried lamb but all things with tuna in are foul. I have a huge box of tuna rejects which i must take to my next meet to swap out

Lol that would kill me. I like the curried lamb but all things with tuna in are foul. I have a huge box of tuna rejects which i must take to my next meet to swap out

Almost killed me.
Specially when everyone else was eating much better food.it was the bacon rolls while I was eating minging bacon and beans fkr 6th morning
It was after that course I made a very firm vow that I would learn how to cook defent food on open fire.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE