2012 Videos - The Honey Stove - The Hive Stove and introducing The Pocket Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Podcast Bob

The Honey Stove has had great support here from the Bushcraft UK forum and I am very grateful for all the feedback, comments and suggestions I've had over recent months from you guys.

With that in mind we've made a few improvements, and also sourced some .5mm Titanium, which everyone has been lusting after since we started production.

The Pocket Stove I think will be very popular for the solo woodsman and as I was making the video today, reminded myself just how efficient it was with small twigs as well as with the ever faithful Trangia, both bringing 400ml of water to the boil in under 6 mins.

It's all on the new videos, and here's the link to both which I hope explains everything.

Thanks again guys for your interest and as always, any further feedback and ideas are always listened to.

The Pocket Stove

The Honey and Hive Stove

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Bob, I have a couple of questions if you dont mind?
I am a complete noob to this but I think the Honey stove is one of if not the best stove I have ever seen!!! (not kissing bottom I mean it!! lol)
My questions are -
How come on the 2012 version you have done away with the top plate? I see you have included the nice grill but with the top plate in any pot that is 12cm or under seemed to be a lot more secure in the honey!

Does the 2009 version come with the trangia holder or can you buy the new trangia holder to fit the old honey stove?

Do the pots and pans you put on the top when cooking with wood get much soot on them? (like I say Im very much a noob lol) and other than the titanium pots, which are a little out of my price range, what pots do you reccomend?

And finally, when you cook on the honey/hive grill, eq using it like a bbq, does it get very messy inside from fat dripping down and stuff? is it easy to clean off?

I have watched all your videos now and really did enjoy the Tgo challenge ones!!
Keep up the good work mate
Cheers
Steve

Apac

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2007
Hull, uk
I rang backpackinglight (who i think make it if im not mistaken?) and they said it was because the top plate in the previous models are prone to warping in the heat of the flame and potentially could displace a pot placed on it. I recently bought one of the older models left in there stock for £33 delivered :)

The 2009 model does comes with a trangia holder, and as its stainless steel it can be cleaned pretty easily.

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I rang backpackinglight (who i think make it if im not mistaken?) and they said it was because the top plate in the previous models are prone to warping in the heat of the flame and potentially could displace a pot placed on it. I recently bought one of the older models left in there stock for £33 delivered :)

The 2009 model does comes with a trangia holder, and as its stainless steel it can be cleaned pretty easily.

Thats quality, thanks for the info!! I too have seen they have got the 2011 model honey stove in Bobs bargain bin, so I have emailed them to see if they have any of the 2011 hive extensions too!!
Thanks for your help pal
Steve

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have an old honey stove and I will say the only part that is warped is the top plate ( but still works fine), it is a great stove and I have loads of different types and models from meths burners, wood, burners, diesel and petrol stoves to green-heat and every other combination, but the honey is still one of the most versatile stoves you can get IMHO.
I am a very happy customer and will be trying out the new pocket stove as well.

On of these days I will thin out some of my collection of stoves but I can not see me getting rid of the honey unless I go for the Ti version :)

Hey BOB just watched the youtube video it looks great and I want one BUT.........

Since you no longer supply a top plate other than that rather cumbersome gill grid it no longer supports a crusader cup
I want the Honey stove as it will fit inside my PLCE waterbottle pouch with the crusader mug/Lid/58 Pattern bottle & Mug.
The new gill grid wont fit inside.

So my question is does the new Honey Stove come with the 2 Tent begs shown in the youtube video (I don't carry metal tent pegs in my kit i use either sticks or ABS tent pegs, both are not much use for the honey stove)

Or can you supply the new Honey Stove but with the old top plate instead of the gill grid?

Podcast Bob

Arrgh, one long answer and then lost the lot!!

So again …

Sorry I missed all these questions in my last visits, so I'll answer them now.

The new Honey has a slimmer Trangia plate and a square plate included, therefore when using a Honey in Hex format burning wood, you can use the Trangia plate to support your Crusader Mug?

Or, if you use 3 sides and a door, it will support the same mug and be even less to carry.

No the pegs aren't included and I did expect people to use a spare peg or two, if they are like me and carry a few extra.

The old grill was cut from a flat plate which meant it warped in the heat. It has taken me 2 years to find a UK grill manufacturer following comments from people, and so it appears there is still a desire for the older style.

So therefore I am going to add those as optional extras later today.

The old grill and the new one are both food grade Stainless Steel and so both clean just as well as normal and I prefer the real grill for this, but its all personal.

Jacko, to solve the soot problem, wipe the bottom of your pans with washing up liquid before you start cooking and this will enable you to clean them easier afterwards. This works equally well when using Meths stoves. (That and adding 5-10% water to the Meths before you light it)

Another solution to carrying sooty pans in your rucksack, is to use a Pot Cosy system. This helps with saving on fuel and cooking in several pans at the same time, and they can be stored in the Cosy afterwards thus keeping the soot away from your other items.

I've just done a video on it, so check it out.

I think that's answered all the questions? We are closing for the month of March, so get any orders in before Sunday or there will be a slight delay until April.

Podcast Bob

There's no reason why you can't take some wire snips to the grill of course and cut it to a shape to fit inside the edges?

I was considering that as an option when I was putting the package together but I thought people would prefer a larger grill to cook over, rather than one which sits within the 12cm dia.

dirty ben

Forager
Dec 24, 2009
somerset
Sorry to hijack the thread but would the pocket stove be compatible with the white box stove or would there be too much of an airgap from top of stove to base of pot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE