.20 cal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
in the process of buying myself a .20 hw80 and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this caliber on an air rifle? supposed to have a trajectory like a .177 with the .22's stopping power and a higher ballistic co-efficient than both from what i've read.

cheers,

matt

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
It's a compromise calibre in this country and as such you will not find many different pellet types.I had a .20 calibre rifle once and to be honest it was fine.Accurate,plenty of stopping power and easy to use.Only problem was lack of pellet choice.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I always heard very mixed reviews about .20 - I would be interested to hear a BS free opinion.

Andy

zorro

Nomad
Jun 6, 2009
Chesterfield UK
I've still got my old Sheridan Blue Streak (2.0), bought it 40 years ago second hand. At the time I had a brand new BSA Airsporter (2.2), reckoned at the time to be one of the best air guns available.

Used them both for rabbits, sitting pigeons and such, found the Sheridan every bit as good as the BSA for stopping power and accuracy with open sights.

The Sheridan became my favourite walking up gun, physically smaller and lighter than the Airsporter, which I fitted with teles and used as my hide gun there after.

yeah i've bought accupells they've never let me down in the past with the other calibres

from memory they are fairly heavy ie same as the 22 pellets so little trajectory advantage

I would recommend trying H&N FTT 11.4 grain
and Bisley Superfields 10.8grain which were always suprisingly accurate in my Theoben

I had to go to the H&N in my Webley axsor as the Superfields ridge chopped up the o-ring seal in the barrel :rolleyes:
and the H&N FTT was the favoured .20 pellet of the Venom Tuning house who built my custom axsor action tho they liked to bump the nose diameter up a few thou witha special die :eek::rolleyes: i got them to make me one but its a faff to use on every pellet. and i suspect more use on the FAC rated stuff they liked but as the Kings of the HW 80 tuning it might be worth trying them

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
from memory they are fairly heavy ie same as the 22 pellets so little trajectory advantage

I would recommend trying H&N FTT 11.4 grain
and Bisley Superfields 10.8grain which were always suprisingly accurate in my Theoben

the ballistic co-efficient is higher though so they don't slow down as quickly as a .22 the main problem with .22 is that they're short and fat so they slow down really quickly which is where they get their looping trajectory, whereas the .20 cal is longer and thinner than a .22 so it overcomes drag a lot better

i've been shooting a .20 rapid for a couple of years now, and recently converted my .177 R10 to .20 too. i find they do flyn a bit flatter than .22 but still only about halfway between .22 and .177, and although they definitely hit like a .22 does, there can still be a touch of overpenetration but not as much as .177.
i never got on with .177 personally, probably due to too many years with .22's and find that .20 suits my hunting perfectly these days.
H+N field target trophy are an excellent choice pellet wise, as are crossman premier or jsb exact. bisley also do a couple of lines in .20 but i havent tried em myself.

hope this helps, wurz

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
does anyone know where you can get .20 barrels for a theoben evolution? one's come up for sale and i really want it but i want to convert it to .20
cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE