2-way Radios

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Congratulations on the new ticket, and hope to work you on the air. As you are on the east side of the US you should be able to work UK/Western Europe fairly easily with 100 watts and a wire antenna.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My name finally appeared in the FCC online database! Call sign KK4BSY. Now I can legally TX. Paper ticket should arrive next week or so. Still looking for a radio, hopefully soon.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have a question here. I've been nosing around online and apart from the US MARS (Military Auxiliary Radio Service) and Canadian CFARS (Canadian Forces Affiliate Radio Service) I cain't find any other country using volunteer Hams as an auxilliary or supplemental com service to their militaries. Are the US and Canada the only ones doing so?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks. The website looks like RAYNET is more closely related to RACES or ARES than MARS or CFARS though. Hopefully I'll be able to participate/contribute to MARS when I get enough experience. Still curious if anyone knows of any other countries using Hams this way? Any ANZACs out there?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks but morse really isn't used by MARS or CFARS. I need to learn data transmission (packet, etc.) and get the equipment.

Last edited:

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I popped into napkins today and they have two way radios which require a light user license, can anyone explain this type over ham radio basic?

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Can anyone here give an opinion of the Kenwood TM-281A 2 meter mobile? The price looks right for a basic mobile rig. www.[B]universal-radio.com[/B]/catalog/fm_txvrs/0281.html
Also can you tell me why the Wx alerts are only available on the US version? Is it that there are no Wx broadcast facilities elsewhere?

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi if it helps,

I have the previous version TM 271. It's a fine rig with a strong die cast chassis and heat sink so you can rag chew away within reason and the front mounted speaker is good for mobile mounting and gives nice sound.

The DTMF hand mike is big. Kenwood make some fine radios. I ran mine for a good while on a floated 12v battery before I got a proper power supply for it.

Cheers

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE