2 problems

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
the first is that the clock on what time the posts were made is all out of sink and since i posted my last post which was the one in the military tarps thread i can no longer reply to a thread. Yet i can start new thread but cant reply

drew

ps to reply to this thread i will have to start another

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Firstly. just for the record, my browser and the forum software between them have decided to tell me that post number one in this thread was made on 8 December 2011 at 20:41 GMT.

Does that tally with the OP's thinking?

Secondly, there's more to this 'time' business than meets the eye. Many computers for example have Microsoft Windows installed. When you install Windows from scratch, unless you tell it otherwise it assumes that you're in the USA's Pacific time zone. So to begin with an awful lot of computers Out There in the UK have the displayed time wrong by eight hours or so (give or take an hour or two of daylight saving time) because the installer didn't tell the software that they want GMT/BST to be used. The keyboards are usually different over there too, the @ sign and the " sign are usually interchanged for example.

Thirdly there's what you've told the forum software you want it to do about the time. You might want to check that in your personal forum settings and let us know what you find out.

Lastly, at least for this post, I'd get the time sorted out first before you worry about the reply problem. It might just go away on its own. I don't know if the forum software uses the time of day it in its authentication scheme (some systems do, Kerberos for example, which is more or less what Windows Domains uses) but time is certainly involved in timeouts for your login session. The vBulletin forum software is sufficiently buggy that it wouldn't surprise me at all if it did different odd things in different odd ways when the time was all screwy.

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
the first is that the clock on what time the posts were made is all out of sink and since i posted my last post which was the one in the military tarps thread i can no longer reply to a thread. Yet i can start new thread but cant reply

drew

ps to reply to this thread i will have to start another

I also can't reply to a thread, I can start a thread, and quote someone as I am now but cannot post otherwise.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Bit of a long shot but easy to check, have you both checked if you're accepting cookies from bushcraftuk.com?

What browser(s) are you using?

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
Bit of a long shot but easy to check, have you both checked if you're accepting cookies from bushcraftuk.com?

What browser(s) are you using?

I'm using my mobile (iphone) with the tapatalk forum app, been fine for at least a year then all of a sudden I can't post normally.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Well, I'm sorry to read that there are two others suffering posting problems.

Other than Toddy flagging my problem post for the admins to look at, I'm heard nothing that suggest anything is being done to resolve my own posting difficulties. As a consequence I started using both Bushcraft Living and Natural Bushcraft instead. As NBC uses the same software as BCUK and I've no problems posting there, I can only assume it's a configuration issue here at BCUK.

The time here is definitely broken. My machine receives a signal from an NTP server to get the time from an atomic clock and yet, despite time at BCUK set to get GMT and automatic DST it's still an hour out. Over at NBC the time is correct.

Al

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have reported both Al and Drew's issues to Admin.
Johan has had a looksee and can find nothing amiss.

We're hoping Tony will have another look at things and see if it's a program thing.

In the meantime, the suggestion is to clear all cookies and to log in afresh.

Sorry not to be of more help :sigh:

cheers,
Mary

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
I have reported both Al and Drew's issues to Admin.
Johan has had a looksee and can find nothing amiss.

We're hoping Tony will have another look at things and see if it's a program thing.

In the meantime, the suggestion is to clear all cookies and to log in afresh.

Sorry not to be of more help :sigh:

cheers,
Mary

It works fine for me and the forum clock is the same as mine - using Windows 7 and Firefox if thats of any help

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Can I suggest that as a test, the people that are having problems open a new account and try using that?

Also if you want to answer questions posted in this thread, feel free to PM me and I can post them on your behalf just for the purposes of fault-finding.

Mary's suggestion of deleting all the bushcraftuk.com cookies is a good one.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Here's an image of the cookies listed in my browser (it's Firefox with a bit of Debian Linux frippery).

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/bcuk_cookies.jpg

I see nothing in the cookies which implies that cookies affect the time displayed, but all the same deleting them is worth a try as it's so easy to do and the forum software will just replace them whenever it feels like it.

The other thing to try as I've already mentioned is to play around with the personal forum settings. It might be worth telling the forum software to use a USA time zone for example, just to see if it takes any notice or not. That could be useful information.

Last edited:

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Ged, deleting cookies was one of the first thing I tried, and sadly, hasn't improved things for me.

Good to see you're a Debian user too, as this was something that crossed my mind as being a possible cause for my problem. It still could be the problem as I have the disks next to me to upgrade to Squeeze and the newer version of Iceweasel. Just a case of finding the time to upgrade, but using an older version has made me wonder. Though I don't see why the VBulletin at NBC should work for me and not here.

The styles thing appears to be a possible cause for me as I can only choose between mobile and test, are these the only options that others see?

Thanks for your help Ged!

Al

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Post on behalf of drewdunnrespect:

Hiya gang
Now ged is posting this cos I can't post on bcuk with out a new thread being started
Now on my laptop I use I.e the latest version and I have tried fire fox but still can't
So decided to see if I could do it on my T-Mobile HTC phone and still can't and have deleted all cookies and what not and have tried tappa talk and it won't pet me

So help drew

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Ged, deleting cookies was one of the first thing I tried, and sadly, hasn't improved things for me.

No surprise really, as I said I couldn't see anything in the cookies which seemed likely to affect it.

Good to see you're a Debian user too, as this was something that crossed my mind as being a possible cause for my problem. It still could be the problem as I have the disks next to me to upgrade to Squeeze and the newer version of Iceweasel. Just a case of finding the time to upgrade, but using an older version has made me wonder.

FWIW I'm using Iceweasel 3.5.16 (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.16) Gecko/20111108 Iceweasel/3.5.16 (like Firefox/3.5.16)) which is as up to date as it gets on Debian Stable.

On Debian, if you don't want to do a full upgrade you can get a more recent version of a package using something like

apt-get -tsqueeze-backports install iceweasel

although it won't work for all packages because (a) not everything gets into backports and (b) there might be unmet dependencies. I haven't checked if you can get the latest Iceweasel for stable (Squeeze) in an oldstable (Lenny) installation. There were quite a few irritations in the older Iceweasel that I was using under Lenny, things like the BBC News site crashing it all the time, but I don't remember having any trouble such as you've described with the BCUK site.

You really should be doing a full dist-upgrade anyway, because security fixes for Lenny will cease in February.

Though I don't see why the VBulletin at NBC should work for me and not here.

There are vBulletin installations and vBulletin installations. I suspect that there may be some issues with the changes that have been made to the BCUK site recently but I have no real evidence.

The styles thing appears to be a possible cause for me as I can only choose between mobile and test, are these the only options that others see?

By 'styles thing' I take it you mean mean 'forum skin'? I see these options in the drop-down box:

Use Forum Default
Mobile Style
Test

AFAIK my setting has always been 'test'.

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Now ged is posting this cos I can't post on bcuk with out a new thread being started
Now on my laptop I use I.e the latest version and I have tried fire fox but still can't
So decided to see if I could do it on my T-Mobile HTC phone and still can't and have deleted all cookies and what not and have tried tappa talk and it won't pet me

Have you tried opening a new account, just as a test?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Technically that's not allowed, but since I know about it, and know why he might try this; go on Drew, give it a go.
I can always pester Admin to merge the two accounts.

cheers,
M

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Just a thought! You can't post replies within 30 secs of each other, if your clock is out, could this be causing a problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE