2 Person tent for wild camping - suggestions needed please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
The guy is going camping with his girlfriend, so forget the tarps and hammocks and take a tent.

Well my wifes opinion is that a hammock is the best and most comfortable form of wild camping ever! And I agree. I also agree that there are places for tents, like I said I have many. But for lightweight wilderness camping in most places in the Uk a hammock shouldn't be discounted...but let the lady decide as she is the boss! :p

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The guy is going camping with his girlfriend, so forget the tarps and hammocks and take a tent. Just because someone is a member here does not mean they use or indeed like sleeping under tarps, I for one don't, for me a tarp is for cooking under etc, but thats only my opinion.

I used a tarp this weekend as a cook shelter, Vango Force Ten as a kit shelter and slept in my Hex, not a bushcraft camp this was for stovies

DSCF3982640x480.jpg

...and that green tunnel thingy in the background is the Vango Spirit 300+ I was talking about - note the huge vestibule

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
>>why not buy a tarp thats say 4.5 X 4.5 and sling two hammocks under it

This assumes that the camping spot:
a) has trees
b) that are suitably spaced apart
c) and that his girlfriend is happy in a hammock

From the persective of weight, a one-man tent plus mat plus sleeping bag is more or less the same as hammock plus tarp plus insulation. But when you're two up, and the ground permits, then a tent is lighter.[/QUOTE

lol actually that just assumes its worth going camping with the GF and sleeping in seperate beds :D

Mike Benis

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2008
England
Vaude Mk II. Comes in separate tent and peg and pole pags so one of you can carry tent and fly and other poles and pegs. It pitches fast and easily, inner and outer together so that you will be comfy even if you have to pitch in the pouring rain or driven snow. It's stable in all weathers, has two bays, good adjustable ventilation and.... excellent after sales back-up.

Cheers

Mike

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
GoLite no longer make the Hex 3, it's now called a Shangri-La 3

Yes, we've talked about this on other threads, seems daft, the nest from the Hex fits the Shangri-la 3, just a rename to slot the tent into a new range I think.

I'm off up North Wales the weekend and for the first trip since 2005 the Hex is staying home, I'm using the Force Ten Mk5 and taking an old Blacks Good Companion Senior tent as well which needs a good fettle:)

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Hi,

My girlfriend and I intend to go wild camping and will be needing a tent (or shelter of some sort). We will be hiking around places like scotland and wild camping in various places.

I am looking for a tent that pitches quickly, weighs little and is very discreet (green), and wont be a problem if being put up in the rain.

I am looking around and the closest I can find is:
http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Gelert_Mongoose_2_Single_Pole_Backpacking_Tent.html

and:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....741636&cguid=a967b17e11f0a0aad424e404ff6f43d0

I wondered if you guys had any better/alternative ideas?

I have the Nakina (or to be precise the Jura military version) and although you can fit two people in there is no room for kit whatsoever I'd go for something with a small porch area for cooking and kit storage.

kai055

Forager
Dec 29, 2006
Hornchurch
did u know now u can get those pop up tents, a three man one now they have it go down into a nag about 18inches wide cos its got a new special design, the scout group im at got a couple and when there set up there just a big as the 3 man ones realli kl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE