2 cavers die...hypothermia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwolfhunter

Jan 27, 2011
Virginia, USA
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/02/14/georgia.cave.deaths/index.html?hpt=Sbin#

I see two men from Florida...exploring a cave in Georgia...and failing to understand that just because it's warm above ground in those places (mostly)...it's flippin COLD underground.

Case in point: "Walker County Sheriff Steve Wilson said affiliate WTVC that Pirie and Lockenbach broke away from the group and decided to explore by themselves.

"They were only dressed in T-shirts and jogging shorts and certainly were not dressed appropriately for going in a cave," Wilson said."

Hypothermia is a popular way to die in a cave followed closely by falling and drowning. There is no safety in numbers, if none of you are cavers, just more victims. Caves are always the same temperature i.e. cold. Caves in the TAG area are almost always wet and muddy too which helps suck your heat away even faster.
Caves are bad, abandoned mines much worse, flooded caves even more deadly, and flooded mines top the list of places to die in IF you are untrained. And some times, even if you are.

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
So I wonder if they got lost as well or just went down hill too far to be sorted out, I t can happen quickly though so maybe it was all done and dusted before anyone could intervene

dwolfhunter

Jan 27, 2011
Virginia, USA
in the story (link) says they were shouting to the rest of their party for quite some time before they succumbed...seems like they had really gotten separated, and the rest of their party could not locate them. Sounds travels differently in caves, so distances/tracking sounds can be very deceptive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE