1st attempt at a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
Hi folks, i wrote up a few days ago asking how to unstick epoxy, well i managed to get the old handle off and have now re-handled the blade, im still not 100% satisfied with it but its a lot better than the 1st attempt and ok for just using hand tools, critique very welcome :)

1st attempt a failure
2009_0220knife0019.jpg

2nd attempt
2009_0220knife0025.jpg

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
Thanks very much, the handle may look a bit chunky for some but i have rather large hands, feels good, oh yeah, the wood is 20 year seasoned yew.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I can see the issues with the first attempt but none with the second.

The handle should always be made to suit the blade and teh hand and I think you have done a great job. A one piece handle is not easy and I have yet to attempt one.

Comments on teh first attempt.
Foe a handle like that you need to be able to hold it together in the hand and hold it up to the light and see no gaps before glueing. I have taken to using 5 minute epoxy and holding the knife in my hands until it holds as advised by Mik on BB (penillion)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE