1000km walk across Arctic Alaska

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Here's a link to a blog about a bloke who walked 600miles across Arctic Alaska. Started off with three of them, only one completed.
They wanted to answer the question:
How far can a man walk in a remote wilderness without resupply, outside support, and dependence upon foraging, hunting, or fishing?
The primary goals of the trek are thus

1. To complete the longest wilderness traverse in the U.S. by fair means, and
2. To be the first party to visit the most remote location in the U.S. by fair means.

Impressive.. walking at night to save weight on insulating clothing, using running shoes, and only having the one pair... go on, you've got to read this! :)

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'm sure I saw a bit about these guys on TV about 2 months ago. What didn't impress me was that they seemed to have no interest in the incredible countryside they were passing through whatsoever. Their only goal was to get there. What a waste of a good opportunity! :(

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
fred gordon said:
I'm sure I saw a bit about these guys on TV about 2 months ago. What didn't impress me was that they seemed to have no interest in the incredible countryside they were passing through whatsoever. Their only goal was to get there. What a waste of a good opportunity! :(

This is not an uncommon theme in wild areas. There are people who run the West Coast Trail , a 75 km trail that follows the Pacific Ocean along the BC coast and is considered one of the "must do's" of backpacking. The scenery, challenge and history are all phenomenal, but just like everything else, there are those that only care about speed. Welcome to the modern era.

I always shake my head at this sort of thing; trekking without support and/or the absolute minimum in supplies one can get away with is just begging to end badly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE