100% wild pheasant platter suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
Hi. i have to find a recipe that includes pheasant. sounds simple enough, the problem is, all the other ingredients have to be wild/foraged too. i searched the tinter web but they all included non-foragable foods. i can get away with usings herbs/ spices but wild ones would be better. i have until monday night to come up with something. thanks

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Velvet tough shank and hazelnut stuffing, with chestnut and acorn flour dumpings with cress seasoning. Sauted hogweed shoots with sorrel sauce, with roast wild parnsip and burdock root.

Quite boring food really, and some fat would be required for the dumplings.

cheese on toast is much better

Last edited:

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
You're making me incredibly hungry. Suddenly the tortilla and chicken breast I had in mind for dinner seems pretty lackluster.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Roasting pheasant without the benefit of larding it or covering it with bacon to keep it moist might be a bt tricky. There's a few stew recipes online - one was with apples and prunes (substitute damsons or the sloes from the bottom of your sloe gin for the prunes and apples are fairly easy to come by), juniper goes well with all sorts of game and s foragable as are chestnuts and mushrooms.

I think the real trick would be finding a truly wild pheasant these days...

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Just a thought......

I wonder if pit roast pheasant, with apples, would taste good. You could add some of the ingredients that xylaria suggested too. Some I know the taste of and know are delicious, some well that's for you to find out.....And tell too!

I used the four hour timer for venison so three hours for a pheasant should suffice. The meat was always wrapped, first in washed calico and then silver foil to keep the moisture in.....Perhaps you could get away with not using silver foil because of the shortened time-frame....then again I'd want something to come out less like leather:eek:
Swyn.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Dont have any great foraging tips I think it will be hard to do esp carbohydrate
what I really wanted to say is curried pheasant cooked properly is fantastic so that may help spice up Xylarias suggestion a bit
good luck sounds like an interesting challenge
Let us know the end result

xylaria

As you have probably a wealth of bulrushes. use them. you will need a lot to feed four people, and in their natural state that aren't very suitable for a polite dinner. however pretty nice biscuits can be made from them, I didnt do this last week as I couldnt be bothered.

1 wash them thoroughly, remove blcak bits.
2 bake them on high for ten minutes
3 split and peel
4 batter with rolling pin and water to extract as much starch as you can
5 remove the string and dry the "sludge" until you have paste
6 add local honey bake until you have biscuits

This would be a lot of work

Dont bother with parnsips in the norfork broads unless you what every water dropwort that grows locally [you have some rare oenanthe growing in norfolk wetlands] looks like. I'll post you wild parnsips if you wish, it is not an easy one to spot or get right without experiance. I cant get to the post office until monday morning though.

wild turnip should be about in hedges in your area. sometimes the best foragable plants are in the neglected bit of your garden. dont forget nettles and bittercress.

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
cheers for the heads up. i have bull rush on my list of things i know i can get and positively I.D along with

watercress
bracken roots
wood sorrell
dandelions
nettles
crabapples
chestnuts
acorn

just to name a few, i'll take some literature along too to play it safe

xylaria

daisy leaves, they taste better than dandilion.
thistle roots, are quite plain tasting. The one to go for are the ones this time of year that have patches of hip hieght dead plants from last year. They are mostly going to be spear thistle. Fresh green live small shoots can have quite long not tough tap roots. Creeping thistle is the big green rosettes you find on lawns. the roots are still edible but fiddley. the stalks on thistles once striped of all the spikes are nice eating.

Dont forget flowers they can make things look pretty nice. gorse and mahonia are nice

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE