1 week Out in Sweden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Hi, This summer me and my brother are planning to stay in hammocks out in the forests in Sweden about half a mile from a house
so if anything goes wrong it will be fine. Anyway the question i wanted to ask was what kinds of food can a 15year old cook not too complicated. I want to eat properly and not just super noodles and rat packs. I will proberley have a dutch oven with me.

If any body could give me a heads up on what foods to eat at a base camp on a one week trip that would be great.

Thanks for your help in advance!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A fifteen year old can cook the same as fifty year old, you need to learn how to cook. At this stage I'd not take a Dutch Oven, certainly not until you know how to use it and have practiced at home.

Between now and when you go learn how to fry meat, eggs, sausages etc. Learn how to make a simple stew and spag bol; cook each a few times so you know how to do it.

Take a gas stove, you may not be allowed a fire as its summer.

Learn to cook, its a great hobby anyway.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
A fifteen year old can cook the same as fifty year old, you need to learn how to cook. At this stage I'd not take a Dutch Oven, certainly not until you know how to use it and have practiced at home.

Between now and when you go learn how to fry meat, eggs, sausages etc. Learn how to make a simple stew and spag bol; cook each a few times so you know how to do it.

Take a gas stove, you may not be allowed a fire as its summer.

Learn to cook, its a great hobby anyway.

OK, Ill bare that in mind. I can cook like bacon, sausage, eggs beans, fried bread and all that stuff but i was looking more at the complex stuff. I am not sure about a fire but it might be more likely as it is on my grandads land so he might be more lenient about it. What gas cooker do you think i should bring, can you reccomend one please.

Thanks for your help!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Take a gas stove, grand dad loves you but in the summer you can get fires even in gardens and if your not used to Dutch Oven cooking you will without doubt drop a bullock or two and mess up.

Plenty of gas stoves about, have a look through past threads. One in Wilkinson's at the moment for less than £10

It really is vital that you practice at home, not just the food you fancy but using the stove and pots you will be taking along

Start surprising the family and cook for them too :)

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Take a gas stove, grand dad loves you but in the summer you can get fires even in gardens and if your not used to Dutch Oven cooking you will without doubt drop a bullock or two and mess up.

Plenty of gas stoves about, have a look through past threads. One in Wilkinson's at the moment for less than £10

It really is vital that you practice at home, not just the food you fancy but using the stove and pots you will be taking along

Start surprising the family and cook for them too :)

Thanks richard, Ok ill have a look on the forum. Yeh ive got this book called trail side cook book and im going to start to look at cooking out of that. I have a trangia 25 so i think ill use that instead of gas. Thanks for your help.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
OK, Ill bare that in mind. I can cook like bacon, sausage, eggs beans, fried bread and all that stuff but i was looking more at the complex stuff. I am not sure about a fire but it might be more likely as it is on my grandads land so he might be more lenient about it. What gas cooker do you think i should bring, can you reccomend one please.

Do as the locals and get a trangia (the 25 is more versatile). Expect 1-2 liters of fuel (any hardware store or petrol station in Sweden will have it). As long as you do not refill a hot or burning burner unit you are fine with them.

As to food: I'd suggest try for your normal food, but keeping the cooking times in mind (the Trangia will not simmer things for 90 minutes...). You can cook stews, risottos, fish (tip: if you buy the frozen "serving size pieces" of salmon you can poach them by putting them, still in the plastic and barely thawed, into hot water and keeping them hot for 30 minutes, e.g. while the potatoes boil you use that pot as a lid), etc. Whip up a aioli to go with it. You could do bannocks (try the local version called kolbulle: equal parts water and flour, some salt, allow to stand for a few hours, fry diced pork in a bit of extra oil, add batter once the pork is done, turn. makes a typical fry-up look like health food...). Spagetti carbonara is quite doable on a trangia, an french omelette as well. Beef stroganoff is also easy and good. Buy fresh herring filets, dip in flour with pepper (or be adventurous) and fry in plenty of butter. You *can* do a lasanga on a trangia, if you know the tricks, but that is not for beginners.

There is some ready made stuff you may -- or may not -- want to try. Some makes of blackpudding (blodpudding) is quite good, other are boring, "kroppkakor" is nice, you can make them yourself or buy ready made: it is a "dumpling" with pork and onions inside a mashed potato and flour covering, the ready made ones just need heading in boiling water. "Pölsa" is basically haggis, but with barley instead if oats and mostly pork meat. Again, some brands have no purpose beyond being better than no food, others are quite enjoyable (yes it is goop, but if done rigth it is tasty goop). Porridge comes in many versions, not just oats. If you like strange milk products try "långfil", which is a sour milk product -- like yoghurt -- but with a bit more elasticity than most. Eat it with broken up crisp bread or muesi. Try the pickled herring, there are a number of different styles. Take this as an oppourtunity to learn to cook real food, and try the different things.

As to different things: surströmming. I offered you may or may not want to try it. Google with give you plenty of opinions... No one will be surprised if you decline, but perhaps impressed if you partake. If in August there may also be crayfish on offer. Not bad. Both *could* earn you brag point at home.

Last edited:

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Do as the locals and get a trangia (the 25 is more versatile). Expect 1-2 liters of fuel (any hardware store or petrol station in Sweden will have it). As long as you do not refill a hot or burning burner unit you are fine with them.

As to food: I'd suggest try for your normal food, but keeping the cooking times in mind (the Trangia will not simmer things for 90 minutes...). You can cook stews, risottos, fish (tip: if you buy the frozen "serving size pieces" of salmon you can poach them by putting them, still in the plastic and barely thawed, into hot water and keeping them hot for 30 minutes, e.g. while the potatoes boil you use that pot as a lid), etc. Whip up a aioli to go with it. You could do bannocks (try the local version called kolbulle: equal parts water and flour, some salt, allow to stand for a few hours, fry diced pork in a bit of extra oil, add batter once the pork is done, turn. makes a typical fry-up look like health food...). Spagetti carbonara is quite doable on a trangia, an french omelette as well. Beef stroganoff is also easy and good. Buy fresh herring filets, dip in flour with pepper (or be adventurous) and fry in plenty of butter. You *can* do a lasanga on a trangia, if you know the tricks, but that is not for beginners.

There is some ready made stuff you may -- or may not -- want to try. Some makes of blackpudding (blodpudding) is quite good, other are boring, "kroppkakor" is nice, you can make them yourself or buy ready made: it is a "dumpling" with pork and onions inside a mashed potato and flour covering, the ready made ones just need heading in boiling water. "Pölsa" is basically haggis, but with barley instead if oats and mostly pork meat. Again, some brands have no purpose beyond being better than no food, others are quite enjoyable (yes it is goop, but if done rigth it is tasty goop). Porridge comes in many versions, not just oats. If you like strange milk products try "långfil", which is a sour milk product -- like yoghurt -- but with a bit more elasticity than most. Eat it with broken up crisp bread or muesi. Try the pickled herring, there are a number of different styles. Take this as an oppourtunity to learn to cook real food, and try the different things.

As to different things: surströmming. I offered you may or may not want to try it. Google with give you plenty of opinions... No one will be surprised if you decline, but perhaps impressed if you partake. If in August there may also be crayfish on offer. Not bad. Both *could* earn you brag point at home.

Thank you for all the ideas you have suggested. I go to sweden every year but this is the first time i have done bushcraft out there. So i know what fil is and i have eaten crayfish which we have caught in my grandands lake. Thanks for all the ideas. I have a trangia 25 and find it very good,

udamiano

On a new journey
if your going to try surströmming make sure your away from population centres, areas of heavy wildlife density, as the 'blast area' can be quite large :yuck:
to say its an acquired taste is probably pushing the term to its limit, someone opened a can next to me once, and it took me a week before i could smell again :lmao:

have fun on your trip

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
if your going to try surströmming make sure your away from population centres, areas of heavy wildlife density, as the 'blast area' can be quite large :yuck:
to say its an acquired taste is probably pushing the term to its limit, someone opened a can next to me once, and it took me a week before i could smell again :lmao:

have fun on your trip

Ive heard its very bad. LOL

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Stews! pretty much throw anything in and it'll taste fine:) Filling, warming and good for you... Remember to take some seasoning though - bit of salt and pepper makes all the difference, or some curry powder or chilli if you're an afficionado.

Re the simmering time in the trangia 25. Learn to use the simmer ring and it'll run a fair old time. Alternatively, take a heat-proof glove and a spare burner - only takes 30 seconds to change over, and by interchanging it'll run for ever!

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
after a week in Sweden last september eating mainly Bannock, porridge and pasta because we didnt think up menues and were rushed around a supermarket by the driver I will not make a mistake with food this september.
I will be taking packets of casserole mix and anything that i cant recognise in the supermarket.
Dutch ovens are awesome and with practice you can cook an amazing variety of food , practice making various bannock's (sweet and savoury). casseroles are a breeze and you can combine both casserole and a suet style bannock on top as a pie crust. As for fry ups you can also use the lid as a frying pan, eggs are best fried in the dip.
Have you seasoned it yet? very important with cast iron.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Wimp. The smell is a bit strong, but nothing unmangeable. But yes, I was not advocating buying a large can and eating it in camp.

Last edited:

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
after a week in Sweden last september eating mainly Bannock, porridge and pasta because we didnt think up menues and were rushed around a supermarket by the driver I will not make a mistake with food this september.
I will be taking packets of casserole mix and anything that i cant recognise in the supermarket.
Dutch ovens are awesome and with practice you can cook an amazing variety of food , practice making various bannock's (sweet and savoury). casseroles are a breeze and you can combine both casserole and a suet style bannock on top as a pie crust. As for fry ups you can also use the lid as a frying pan, eggs are best fried in the dip.
Have you seasoned it yet? very important with cast iron.

I havent got a dutch oven yet. Do you think i should get one for out there. Where abouts are you going in sweden.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
get yourself a dutch oven mate, I prefere the type with a lip ontop for coals, bit heavy for your baggage alowance on the plane thoe.
I am going to Nordmarken canoe centre near Ajang, had a blast last year so going back again.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks richard, Ok ill have a look on the forum. Yeh ive got this book called trail side cook book and im going to start to look at cooking out of that. I have a trangia 25 so i think ill use that instead of gas. Thanks for your help.

A fine choice of stove :) Pop into Wilkinsons and buy a non stick flan tin, they make good frying pans for Trangia's

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE